"classic" roller ball pens refills?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dvoigt

I have some of the "classic" roller ball kits from PSI, and I also have some of the "Premium Classic Rollerball Pen Kits" from WoodTurningz. On the PSI website they show "Hauser" refills and "Gel Ink" refills as options.

I think the pens from WoodTurningz have come with the "Gel Ink" refill, but this pens will not accept the Hauser refill. While the refills are the same length and similar shape, the Hauser one seems to be larger in diameter and will not fit through the tip.

Anyone know what refills the ones from WoodTurningz will take and where I can get some or direct people to get them.

Thanks
Derek

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JBCustomPens

I think those take the Hauser ones like you stated. You can get them from PSI. http://www.pennstateind.com/store/PK10-RPR.html
Most gel inks only fit in parker styles.

Those refills are ok, but they are the best that those kits can take. If you can afford to, I would start to venture away from those kits. The platings don't last very long and they are not very good kits IMO. Some better kits to look at, if you already haven't, are the JR. Gent, JR. Statesman, and their full size companions. They take a better Schmidt refill, and are very high quality. They are available at CSUSA.

JR. Gent
JR. Statesman
JR. Retro

Hope this helps!:)

Dvoigt

Yeah, that is the refill I tried and it wouldn't fully insert into the tip :mad:.

I do like the other kits you stated better, and I don't think I'm going to buy any more of them, but just use up the ones that I have.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Yeah, that is the refill I tried and it wouldn't fully insert into the tip :mad:.

I do like the other kits you stated better, and I don't think I'm going to buy any more of them, but just use up the ones that I have.

What do we mean by the "tip". Is the writing point not feeding through the "Nib" (for lack of a better description) or is the diameter of the refill too big for the pen?

Dvoigt

Yes.... The tip (of the refill) doesn't stick out of the nib (of the pen) at all.

I wasn't sure if "nib" was the correct term, for some reason I thought that only applied to fountain pens.

JBCustomPens

Yes.... The tip (of the refill) doesn't stick out of the nib (of the pen) at all.

I wasn't sure if "nib" was the correct term, for some reason I thought that only applied to fountain pens.

Sorry, I misunderstood you. I would try a Schmidt 888 or something similiar. Ed sells them, and they are a better refill too.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Do you have the spring in the back of the "finial"?

And, yes there is an argument that nibs are just for fountain pens, but I ignore it so I can find out what you mean.

(Apologies to all purists!!)

Dvoigt

Do you have the spring in the back of the "finial"?

And, yes there is an argument that nibs are just for fountain pens, but I ignore it so I can find out what you mean.

(Apologies to all purists!!)

Yes, I have the spring. But that doesn't matter, because I was just inserting the refill into the nib (to see if it would fit) and never fully put the pen together.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Yes, I have the spring. But that doesn't matter, because I was just inserting the refill into the nib (to see if it would fit) and never fully put the pen together.

So, if I am following you correctly, you are saying the hole in the nib is not large enough for the refill to come through. This is not uncommon!!! Take a dremel or similar tool with a grinding stone or diamond bit and expand the hole. When they plate the nibs (for lack of a better term), the hole can get too small for the refill to come through (sometimes this is VERY true, I have played with them for up to five minutes!!)

Hope I got your point, this is what I was thinking you might be experiencing---maybe this will solve it!!

jskeen

I agree, the easiest fix for this is just to take a needle file and open the tip up just a tiny bit. A small drill bit may work too, with a little fiddling. But the Schmidt and Hauser RB refills, along with most other replacement refills should be interchangeable, and if they are not, it's probably better to fix the pen than just reuse a specific refill.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
James,

AS YOU Know, if you SELL the pen, the customer will, INVARIABLY find the fattest refill made-----it WON'T fit and you will hear from them at the next show.

Dvoigt

So, if I am following you correctly, you are saying the hole in the nib is not large enough for the refill to come through. This is not uncommon!!! Take a dremel or similar tool with a grinding stone or diamond bit and expand the hole. When they plate the nibs (for lack of a better term), the hole can get too small for the refill to come through (sometimes this is VERY true, I have played with them for up to five minutes!!)

Hope I got your point, this is what I was thinking you might be experiencing---maybe this will solve it!!

Yep that is what I'm saying. I didn't think about opening the hole.... I'll give that a try

Top Bottom