Classic American troubles

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Haslett

I started turning Classic American pens from Woodcraft. I've found that I don't particularly like the pens. However, I'm trying to get through the kits I have, but I've got a serious issue with them. None of the transmissions work properly. The transmissions extend the refill just fine, but as soon as you touch it to paper, it fully retracts on its own. I've got 2 doing this.

The first one I noticed the problem after it was complete. I'm pretty sure that one is a lost cause, as I don't know if I can get it disassembled. I tested the next one before pressing the transmission into the upper pen tube. It does the same thing. I took them both back to the Woodcraft where I got them. They let me try different transmissions from their kits in stock. We tried 4 different ones and they all did the same thing.

I was hoping to salvage at least one of these pens, as the last one I made turned out pretty good. I was able to get some shape on the bottom tube and the pen is fairly well balanced. If only you could write with it.

Has anybody else had this type of issue? Any suggestions? Has anyone disassembled one of these? Should I just toss the lot and cut my losses?

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Screw on tight

I assume these are twist style transmissions. 1st I'd make sure the cap is screwed on tight enough - I've had this happen with similar type transmissions. Sometimes the transmission does not work right if the cap is not quite tight enough. If that doesn't fix it I'd call Woodcraft and talk to them about it.

its_virgil

Jim,
These kits are extremely sensitive to two things. Both separately or together they cause problems with the transmission working properly.

One of the sensitivities is tube length. The tube length (blank length)is very critical...both upper and lower barrels are tube length sensitive for proper working of the pens. Tubes, and consequently the blanks, are sometimes shortened by the squaring process. Some squaring methods remove more brass than others which can shorten the tubes and blanks.

The other sensitivity is with the upper (cap) tube and barrel. The transmission should freely drop through the upper tube. Any restriction will cause problems. The upper tube can be constricted with glue inside, which is the main culprit. Another restriction can occur when the wood is parted off the blank for the CB. The tube can crush just enough for the transmission to not slip through. Also, pressing on the center band can also cause crushing of the end of the tube. After pressing on the center band make sure the transmission will freely pass through the upper tube. If not, clean out the glue or open the crushed tube with a punch or similar object. Once the transmission will pass through, then all should be fine.

The transmission on this kit is not operated by a friction fit like the slimline but the transmission is activated with a coupling between the transmission and the clip/finial assembly.

I hope you get the problem solved. good luck.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

I started turning Classic American pens from Woodcraft.. None of the transmissions work properly. The transmissions extend the refill just fine, but as soon as you touch it to paper, it fully retracts on its own. I've got 2 doing this.

Jim Haslett

Don, thanks for the advice. I've got the top tube sliding smoothly over the transmission. At this point, on the second pen, I haven't even pressed the top onto the transmission. I'm simply screwing the transmission onto the lower tube and trying to operate it. I understand the issue with tube length, but this transmission simply will not stay in the "extended" position. Any small amount of pressure on it and it retracts.

I'm planning to call Woodcraft about it.

Top Bottom