"Classic American" Style Pen Questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ScoJo

First, in working with these as my first style of pen requiring parting, I have found that if I part off 1/8" of the top tube (as the directions say), I have a harder time getting the pen together than if you part off just a little bit more (maybe an additional 1 mm or even 1/16"). Do you find this to be the case as well, or am I doing something wrong? Because of this, I have found myself wishing that I could take the decorative rings off (I could have saved one of my pens if I could just get the rings off and part off a little more material). But with the rings fit around the outside of the brass tube, I can't get them off. Has anyone found a way to get them off in a way that the rings will not be marred? Maybe something like a set of pliers with rubber "jaws"? I've been learning a lot about how to disassemble pens to get the back on the lathe for refinishing, etc., and the pin gauge set I have really helps with most kits, but this particular one I can't figure out how to do safely.

Next, the style is very sensitive to being exactly at the size of the bushing with NO excess at the top of the bottom tube. Have you been able to CA finish this style of pen without the tube being slightly too large in diameter and binding at the overlap?

Any advice on these points would be greatly appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dmott

Just made a flat top rollerball last night.

I think if you take off more than 1/8" you will be taking away some of the threads on the inside of cap that hold the cap to the body.

Regarding disassembly, never tried and am curious about this too. I have a punch set but the part you are describing presses on the outside of the brass tube.

Regarding the ca finish, I always compensate for the thickness by turning past the bushings, then build my ca back up to it. If I put a real thick layer, I even turn the ca glue finish back down to the bushings. This pen does need to fit nice though, opposed to something like a cigar pen which is a little forgiving due to the shape of the hardware.

ScoJo

The one I made was not a screw cap, but just one of the double twist ones. Now that I think about it, I wonder whether my issues with putting it together are not due to the length of the exposed brass tubing but to something else (something other than binding against the wood of the lower tube). I am wondering if by parting off more than 1/8" if I am making the tendency to bind against that wood greater, though (more area for overlap?). Not sure since I don't have the pen in front of me at the moment.

Anyone else have issues with this kit going together if you only part of 1/8"?

How about any other tips to getting those decorative rings off of the outside of that brass tube if you need to? I think that would be really helpful to be able to do that - it would allow me to experiment with the length of the part.

ScoJo

I'm still having troubles with this kit. Sometimes I part off too little, and the bushing at the finial end isn't long enough to grab the twist mechanism. Sometimes I part off too much and it leaves some of the twist holder showing beneath the decorative rings in the center of the pen. Any advice on getting this consistently correct would be greatly appreciated. There seems to be some variability kit to kit in the length of the twist mechanism itself, which doesn't help.

If you are talking about the Classic American from Woodcraft, the following is from the directions:

After turning the pen top to the bushing diameter, part 3/16" from the end which will be receiving the Center Ring (H).

okiebugg

parting tool

FWIW

I solved the problem two different ways. I made a 3/16 wide parting tool. It's a heck of a lot easier than trying to use a pencil mark. I turned a dowel that will go through the end piece and the blank. I put the dowel into a 2X2 1" long. When I am ready to press the pieces together, I use a 6" machinist vise. I put about 1/4 drop of gorilla glue on the tube (acts as a lubricant and holds the end piece in place when finished). Stick the tube through the endpiece and the tube and press together. The little backer board holding the dowel seems to hold everything square when pressing together.

ScoJo

Ever find a way to get the decorative rings (if not glued) back off again if you need to? That would really help test fit.

Bobalu

If you are talking about the Classic American from Woodcraft, the following is from the directions:

After turning the pen top to the bushing diameter, part 3/16" from the end which will be receiving the Center Ring (H).

The name "Classic American" is used by Woodcraft and others to identify a pen style, which comes in at least three forms.....the BP click version, the BP twist version, and the RB screw cap version. Your information might be correct for one version, but not all. Some require a 1/4" tenon. Make sure you match your pen kit with the proper instruction sheet. Woodcraft makes that easy by listing the specific pen kits each instruction sheet covers at the very top of the page.

Last edited:

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
First, in working with these as my first style of pen requiring parting, I have found that if I part off 1/8" of the top tube (as the directions say), I have a harder time getting the pen together than if you part off just a little bit more (maybe an additional 1 mm or even 1/16"). Do you find this to be the case as well, or am I doing something wrong? Because of this,
I have found myself wishing that I could take the decorative rings off (I could have saved one of my pens if I could just get the rings off and part off a little more material). But with the rings fit around the outside of the brass tube, I can't get them off. Has anyone found a way to get them off in a way that the rings will not be marred?
A collet chuck works very well to remove that centreband. A few wraps of making tape around the band to give some protection, then the proper sized collet chuck tightened around the band. Put it on the lathe and twist with a piece of router gripper mat in your hand.

I don't recall using this method on this particular style of pen, but I have used it on a Perfect Fit style which has the centreband over lapping the brass tube as the pen you are speaking of has. HTH!

Top Bottom