Classic American Flat Top Clip Problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

turn4fun

The Clip on Berea's Classic American Flat Top always scratches the upper blank. The bottom of the clip has five pieces of metal bent over. Supposedly they are bent so all their edges line up and are flush. They do line up fairly well, but are never quite flush enough and will scratch the upper barrel. I have built maybe 30 of these pens over the last four years. I've had this problem on every one of them.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem? Thanks.. Larry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hendu3270

The Clip on Berea's Classic American Flat Top always scratches the upper blank. The bottom of the clip has five pieces of metal bent over. Supposedly they are bent so all their edges line up and are flush. They do line up fairly well, but are never quite flush enough and will scratch the upper barrel. I have built maybe 30 of these pens over the last four years. I've had this problem on every one of them.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem? Thanks.. Larry

I've not turned one of these kits, but if I'm understanding you correctly, couldn't you just use a fine file, and file the area smooth prior to assembly?

gbpens

I believe the problem you describe is due to the cap loosening up allowing the clip to "scratch" the barrel. Try a small drop of CA on the thread, tighten it down fast and it should hold indefinitely. The clip will not move again.

Hendu3270

I believe the problem you describe is due to the cap loosening up allowing the clip to "scratch" the barrel. Try a small drop of CA on the thread, tighten it down fast and it should hold indefinitely. The clip will not move again.

That makes more sense. Prevent it from spinning in the first place. :good:

turn4fun

Thanks for all the suggestions. In the past I've used some of the coarser micromesh pads to try to smooth out the edges on the clip. This helped with some clips. But one time I did it a little too aggressively and went through the plating. I haven't tried loctiting the screw so the clip can't rotate. That sounds like it will limit any scratching to a small spot hidden pretty well under the clip. A lady at Berea said that putting a little clear nail polish over the rough edges of the clip might work. That sounds interesting but I'm not sure how long the nail polish would hold up. Thanks again for the help.. Larry

Top Bottom