clamping diagonal segments

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hughbie

hey guys, i just got myself a band saw and it cuts beautiful, i've even made a sled for the table to be able to cut on the angle for segmenting......now tell me ol wise ones.....

what do you use / how do you clamp angled cuts?

any help will be better than no help at all! LOL

thanks guys

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
My method: Lay down a piece of wax paper; lay your segmented pen on it; lay two slightly shorter but wider blocks on either side of your blank under the wax paper; use a couple of c-clamps to lightly but snugly press those blocks against your blank (trapping the wax paper between them and the blank); now use a long clamp to squeeze the ends of your blank for glue up. I then remove the long clamp and slightly loosen the c-clamps to slide the blank out or segments in. Very quick, very easy.

Alternative method: wax paper flat. Replace side blocks with 3/4" tall UHMW plastic on top of the wax paper. Very slightly easier.

GK

Originally posted by gketell

My method: Lay down a piece of wax paper; lay your segmented pen on it; lay two slightly shorter but wider blocks on either side of your blank under the wax paper; use a couple of c-clamps to lightly but snugly press those blocks against your blank (trapping the wax paper between them and the blank); now use a long clamp to squeeze the ends of your blank for glue up. I then remove the long clamp and slightly loosen the c-clamps to slide the blank out or segments in. Very quick, very easy.

Alternative method: wax paper flat. Replace side blocks with 3/4" tall UHMW plastic on top of the wax paper. Very slightly easier.

GK

Would you happen to have a picture of this?

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
I didn't, but I do now.

First with no wax paper for clarity.
20083418589_CIMG0167.jpg

Then with wax paper.
200834185824_CIMG0168.jpg

GK

Rmartin

I use CA glue for segmenting; no clamping needed. I use common copy paper. Some inserts do need clamping and for those I use spring clamps available at Lowe's or Home Depot. The small ones are less than a buck and the next size up is some where around a dollar. I bought a dozen of each. You can never have enough clamps I always say.

jtate

I use CA for segmented stuff too (like the ever-popular celtic rings) and I just hold them tightly together with my fingers until they are firmly stuck together. I do this because my inserts usually protrude out beyond the edges of the blanks and so it's mot very amenable to sideways clamping.

I let them cure overnight before turning.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
I also use CA. But I still clamp. And since my blanks are always wider than the finished pen I make my insert pieces slightly narrower than the blank so it can clamp easily.

That is what is so fun about what we do. !000 different looks made a 1000 different ways but they all look good. Just use the method that works best for you.

GK

Top Bottom