Circuit Board Pencil Help Needed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

scotti158

Hi everyone,
I have a customer that bought a circuit board pen and now he would like a matching pencil. I don't see any kits out there. Would the same circuit board blank fit on a Gatsby pencil kit from PSI? The Gatsby pencil looks to be the same style as the circuit board pen. If this won't work, any ideas.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

I would say yes, it will work. The gatsby will be a little smaller if the circuit board pen you made is the sierra vista, which is a little larger than the sierra. The pen and pencil will not be the exact same size. But, the circuit board blank will work on the standard sierra if you are careful to not turn into the board components. Bruce has some comments about using the circuit board blank on the standard sierra on his website. The sierra pencil conversion is an excellent modification and the schmidt mechanism is much much better than the click mechanism in the gatsby pencil. One draw back is the sierra pencil modification has no eraser, and having an eraser seems to be a requirement to anyone who really wants a pencil. Good luck.
Do a good turn daily!
don

Hi everyone,
I have a customer that bought a circuit board pen and now he would like a matching pencil. I don't see any kits out there. Would the same circuit board blank fit on a Gatsby pencil kit from PSI? The Gatsby pencil looks to be the same style as the circuit board pen. If this won't work, any ideas.

bruce119

Just keep in mind when modifying the thing to look out for is the 2 orange & black long fuse looking components. They are both on the same end of the blank they are the highest components. You will hit them about .532 see the below. The Vista turns to .551 on the large side then .523 on the nib end. So keep that in mind when modifying. As you get close to the final shape if you are cutting it close you should creep up on it very slowly with a skew scraping just a little at a time. If you happen to hit a component it should be no problem it is time to stop when you sand and I wet sand with micro mesh through the numbers then polish it. The hit component wouldn't even be noticeable.

I don't have any experiences with the pencil so I can't help you. But if it uses the same tube you should be able to get it to work. You just may have to tapper it a bit. And if you have to shorten the tube keep in mind those components that are high. I would remove the opposite end.

p1010007.jpg p1010008.jpg

I am working on something and hope to be making some PCB blanks again. But please don't start emailing me. When/if it goes I will announce it but I hope to start with a limited supply soon.

Thanks
Bruce

Top Bottom