Circuit board pen kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Smith

I have a question about the circuit board pen kit offered by Rockler. Someone in the office noticed the circuit board Sierra I was using and wants me to make one for her husbands birthday. My pen is one of the original blanks made by Bruce119 from a real circuit board. Before I commit to make this pen, I'd like input from anyone who has made pens with both the original circuit board blank and the "printed" pen kit from Rockler. How close is the Rockler to the real deal? I don't want to make a pen that is not acceptable to this person, certainly not as a gift for her husband. Any input wold be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Jim Smith

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Either one is a great representation of the idea. I personally like the manufactored ones because of the amount of components and the different colors available. Can't go wrong with either ones though.

I have made several of both of them. They are both great looking blanks. The main difference for me is the manufactured blanks are all the same layout on the circuit board where the individual made the boards are different.

thewishman

The Rockler kits come from Berea Hardwoods. They are real circuit boards, but were made to be cast for pens. They use the real components and are three dimensional.

Jim Smith

Thank you for your responses. This is just what I needed to know. I was afraid that the Rockler kits were photo prints and not real boards and I didn't want to dissapoint the customer.

Thanks again and have a great day.

Jim

msvoma44

I just bought some of the Wall Street III circuit board kits from Woodcraft. Nice kit. One word of caution......sand them to square the ends. Don't use a barrel trimmer. I used a barrel trimmer on my first one and blew out the end. First acrylic and first Circuit boad kit.

Mike

randyrls

I just bought some of the Wall Street III circuit board kits from Woodcraft. Nice kit. One word of caution......sand them to square the ends. Don't use a barrel trimmer. I used a barrel trimmer on my first one and blew out the end. First acrylic and first Circuit boad kit.

Mike

I'll confirm what Mike Said!!!

Never use a pen mill on any kind of covered acrylic blank.

It is easy to whomp up a sanding jig from any kind of disk sander, square of wood, and an old mandrel rod.

The Rockler kits come from Berea Hardwoods. They are real circuit boards, but were made to be cast for pens. They use the real components and are three dimensional.

I have made a few of these as well. I work in Aerospace, our business is mostly designing electrical systems that go into aircraft (boxes). I showed one of these pens to a card designer and Boom, I had sales for a few months. The feedback from those who use them is that they are indeed true to CCA design, they are surface mount technology (SMT).

I do use a pen mill to squeare mine, I have never lost a blank. The potential problem for some of you could be the cutters grabbing the acrylic and tearing them open. I chuck mine in a Jacobs chuck on my lathe, at 500rpm and introduce the blank carefully with a light touch. I used to be more agressive with other blanks and this method, I lost a few to the teeth sinking in and blowing open the end, it should be a light cutting sound, and if not, eiether sharpen your cutter or get a new one, or sand... just my experience.

mtgrizzly52

I made several of the original ones and now a few of the woodcraft ones. I like both as far as being real boards. The difference to me is the type of acrylic used in the woodcraft kits seems to be really hard and sometimes difficult to work with. Even with very sharp tools you get chipping, but with the help of my trusty ca bottle, I've been able to get through those challenges.

Rick (mtgrizzly52)

KenV

If you use a pen mill -- they need to be "scary sharp" with good steel. Most I have worked with are not that way out of the package. Light touch and very very sharp. (cut the finger sharp - shave hairs on the arm sharp).

Otherwise look to use abrasives ---

they are fun pens -- and make an impression on those who work with electronics.

Here is one I just finished (from woodcraft)...Tried to get a close up of the components. During their sale, I got it for $15 and this is WITH the pen kit. Not to bad of a deal.

Attachments

• il_570xN_224108423.jpg
    il_570xN_224108423.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 114
Top Bottom