Circuit Board Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Oldwagon

I am almost to the bushings.But there are 2 places where there is chips in the blank.I sharpened up my skew and tried to cut them out.It is like they are not going to come out.Should I fill in with CA or turn some more?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DozerMite

Banned
If the chips aren't real bad, I would fill them.
I haven't tried to fill anything big or deep, so can't say how it would look. Might be able to see it??

johnnycnc

Are the chips near the large or small bushing? Sierra Vista i'm guessing?
If near the large bushing, swap bushings to the other end and work on it a tad more.
The large bushing is pretty big for the hardware on the clip end, in my opinion.
I turn the Vista a little past that large one for what seems to me, a more pleasing fit
to the kit hardware.
I have done several of these blanks lately, and i will say be CAREFUL, the small busing end on my first one, had a couple resistors starting to peek through.
After that, i turned them cylinder to the large bushing and tapered the small bushing end to the right size, but only over a SHORT distance from the end. that worked for me..
oh, and don't drop the turned blank on concrete.:rolleyes: I did one, it cracked, I doped it with thin CA, and now have a demo model. it shows slightly on mine. not bad, but it didn't "heal" it.

Last edited:

Buzzzz4

It wouldn't hurt to fill with CA as it sounds like it may not be too deep? If the CA doesn't work out, you can put it on a Wallstreet II which has smaller bushings. I've made that work when I screwed up the bushings. I was surprised I didn't get into the circuit board, but it worked for that one.

Mr Vic

If they are small divots go ahead and fill with thick CA. The second one I did I blew of almost 1/2" section below the bushings...5 minute epoxy saved the day. Just globed it on, dried and turned back down. Couldn't see the repair.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Please don't take this as "snide", I have done the same myself.

Switch to 150 grit sandpaper. If you are trying to go to the size of the normal sierra, you are VERY LIKELY to hit a component About a hlaf inch down from one end. This will NOT ruin anything, but it CAN make your tool chatter, creating more problems.

FWIW

Oldwagon

Thanks for the help.These are fun right.lol.Not bad.I worked it down.Did alot of sanding.Went to 12k.I got it out ok on the big end.Had more trouble on the small end.About 1/2 inch in.Worked out good.Now for a buyer. Todd

bruce119

Todd

Here are are a few tips I give with these.

First when turning before going to the lathe sand them round it makes life so much easier. I never use a gouge chips and charter is a very bad thing. I use a 1/2" oval skew but not in the conventional way say some of us were taught. Who is to say it is wrong if it works. First I use the point of the skew like a metal lathe would use a tool bit SLOWLY working the blank round. I approach the blank just about straight on cutting with the corner. You should get thin dusty ribbons. This is the time to practice when the blank is over size. As I get close to final size I use the skew as a scrapper and SLOWLY scrape then again you should be getting dust. The thing with any polyester resins is no chips or tool marks to begin with with they are very bad.

Sand to round and practice when over size. Use your larger clip end bushing as a guide don't turn smaller then that. Then tapper your NIB end down to the bushing.

Fixing a damaged blank it can be difficult. First off if you hit a component all is not lost. If you were careful you can get away with just polishing it and you will never know. If it tears out or chips a bit CA will usually fix it. Small chips can be fixed with CA give it a good coat of CA all over the blank and finish it up like any other CA finish.

Larger Chunks more difficult to fix. If you use to much too deep CA it will start to fog and will be noticeable. These are made from polyester resin so you can recast the blank with polyester.

Cracks are almost imposable to fix. Cracks are most likely caused by aggressive turning. You can try seeping thin CA into it but it will probably not work. Most likely only way to save it is to tear out a chunk and recast it.

I hope I helped some one with this information. I always try to help any one who asks.

If anyone has a damage blank I can repair/replace it (as long as the components were not damaged) for about 1/2 the price of a kit. Contact me for more information.

Thanks
Bruce

If anyone has a damage blank I can repair/replace it (as long as the components were not damaged) for about 1/2 the price of a kit. Contact me for more information.

Thanks
Bruce

Didn't know you did that, Bruce. Very generous! I'm assuming this is only the ones that are purchased from you? I haven't had any troubles with yours yet (and wouldn't buy them from anywhere else)!

THanks

Last edited:

diamundgem

I have tried CA glue to repair chips but I far prefer 2 part 5 minute epoxy. It's thicker and will fill a larger hole or chip. Let it dry about 4 hours and return and sand . In most cases you will not even see a hint of the repair

Cindylee

I chipped one out the other day and thought it was a lost cause. Figured what the hay might as well play around with patching the clear cast and see how the CA worked.

It was a pretty good sized chip but not all the way down to the circuit board (thank goodness, but that is what I get for not setting up the sharpener).

I filled up the chipped area with a generous blob of CA and hit it with some of the aerosol hardener that sets the CA. I let it sit for about 10 or 15 minutes and came back and sanded it very carefully. I was reluctant to hit it with a chisel for fear of messing it up more.

When it was all said and done you could not even tell where the chip had been. And I was ready to toss the kit away. Thankfully I "practiced" on it first.

bruce119

Cindylee

Good to hear you saved your blank. Your lucky got to be careful when using a thick layer or large blob and hitting it with accelerator. Better to walk away an hour or more and let it set on it's on and maybe use 2 or 3 coats with no accelerator. Accelerator on a thick coat can cause the CA to kind of crystallize turn a white or foggy Once that happens or kinda up the creek.

Read my previous post I can help anyone out that has a damaged blank. Before they really mess it up :wink:

Good to hear you fixed it check out my add in the business classifieds I can get you a good deal on kits.

Top Bottom