Circuit board fountain pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jennera

Rebecca has had a request for a circuit board fountain pen, convertible one if possible.

She found a kit that will take a 10 mm blank but would lime to know if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

I have found that the Circuit Board blanks for Cigar from BearToothWoods are the best available and look genuine and realistic.

I do not know if you can get a Cigar as a fountain pen kit.

I would not buy the PSI circuit board blanks. They actually look artificial (which they are) and the resin tends to be very chippy.

WriteON

I have found that the Circuit Board blanks for Cigar from BearToothWoods are the best available and look genuine and realistic.

I would not buy the PSI circuit board blanks. They actually look artificial (which they are) and the resin tends to be very chippy.

Never had a problem as for being chippy. As the look it's up to the individual

jennera

This would be for the Interim Dean of Electrical Engineering at University of Texas Dallas so it should probably be as realistic as possible. [emoji4]

I havent purchased anything from BearToothWoods before, we will have to check them out. Are they similar to what Exoctic Blanks sells?

Jennifer

WriteON

Interim Dean of Electrical Engineering at University of Texas Dallas so it should probably be as realistic as possible. [emoji4]

Hope you find what you looking for and please post the finished product. However if it's the thought that counts the PSI blank will "shock" him. He'll definitely get a charge out of it. I will post some SteamPunks w/ circuits just for kicks later.

jennera

Ok, we found the Classic Elite fountain pen and the RAW fountain pens that will take the 10 mm or 3/8" circuit board blanks.

Rebecca has not used either of these kits before. Would like to hear opinions on these kits and suggestions if there are other 10 mm and 3/8" fountain pen kits available. Or if there is somewhere we can get circuit board blanks that are 10.5 mm and 8.5 mm for the larger fountain pens.

Thanks for all the suggestions! UTD is one of the universities she is considering so want to make a good impression even her interest in Electrical Engineering died after she found out she would have to take a lot of math.

Jennifer

magpens

You might have a look at the New Series Fountain pen:

http://www.azsil.com/library/uploads/New%20Series%20Screwcap%20Instructions.pdf

The instructions say to use a V size drill, which is 0.377" diameter.
I have always found that a 3/8" = 0.375" diameter works just fine.

Both tubes of the New Series are the same diameter. I will get you the lengths in a minute.

EDIT: Here are the lengths:

The New Series tubes are 2.09" and 1.82" in length.

Compare this with the Cigar tubes which are 2.09" and 1.91"

I don't think you would have any trouble using the 3/8" tubed Circuit Board blanks on a New Series kit as far as tube length goes.

The 3/8" C.B. blanks that BearToothWoods sells are from PSI.

The Cigar size C.B. blanks at BearToothWoods are tubed with "10 mm" brass tubes which are 6 or 7 thousandths bigger than the 3/8

I prefer the Cigar blanks as more authentic circuit boards but they would be 6 or 7 thou too big for the New Series pen components.
That difference in size could be made up by a brass ship about 3 or 4 thou thick, but that would take a tiny bit of fooling around and Rebecca may not want to do that.

You can buy both the New Series kit and the 3/8 C.B. blank from BearToothWoods in Colorado Springs.

You can find the specs for both Cigar and New Series kits at the Berea website or here on IAP website at this location:

http://content.penturners.org/library/general_reference/berea_bush_tube.pdf

Last edited:

magpens

This would be for the Interim Dean of Electrical Engineering at University of Texas Dallas so it should probably be as realistic as possible. [emoji4]

I havent purchased anything from BearToothWoods before, we will have to check them out. Are they similar to what Exoctic Blanks sells?

Jennifer

Here is the selection of Circuit Board Blanks at BearToothWoods.

https://www.beartoothwoods.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=circuit+board+blank

They also sell the New Series Fountain Pen Kits.

http://www.beartoothwoods.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=117

You will find they are very similar to ExoticBlanks, and extremely fast to ship.

Ernie and his wife Robin are superb folks to deal with, just like Dawn and Ed

Last edited:

MTViper

I've made lots of Classic Elite pens. They are very straight forward and look great when turned. They can be straight tubes or a little bulge in either or both ends. The threads on the cap and both ends are very durable. I like it a lot.

jennera

Jennifer

Here is the selection of Circuit Board Blanks at BearToothWoods.

https://www.beartoothwoods.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=circuit+board+blank

They also sell the New Series Fountain Pen Kits.

http://www.beartoothwoods.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=117

You will find they are very similar to ExoticBlanks, and extremely fast to ship.

Ernie and his wife Robin are superb folks to deal with, just like Dawn and Ed
One of our local pen supply stores, Wood World of Texas, carries the New Series kit. We will have to go check it out. The design is very nice and I like that all the parts are metal. The 9.7 mm did worry me but knowing the 3/8" is such a close fit eases that concern.

Thanks! That one is on the list to try!

Jennifer

jennera

I've made lots of Classic Elite pens. They are very straight forward and look great when turned. They can be straight tubes or a little bulge in either or both ends. The threads on the cap and both ends are very durable. I like it a lot.
On the Classic Elite are the threads metal or plastic? We were having a hard time telling from the photos. She has only turned a few Triton fountain pens and a Faith, Hope, and Love one so we do not have any knowledge regarding the nibs or what styles are typically preferred.

Thank you!

jennera

You might have a look at the New Series Fountain pen:

http://www.azsil.com/library/uploads/New Series Screwcap Instructions.pdf

The instructions say to use a V size drill, which is 0.377" diameter.
I have always found that a 3/8" = 0.375" diameter works just fine.

Both tubes of the New Series are the same diameter. I will get you the lengths in a minute.

EDIT: Here are the lengths:

The New Series tubes are 2.09" and 1.82" in length.

Compare this with the Cigar tubes which are 2.09" and 1.91"

I don't think you would have any trouble using the 3/8" tubed Circuit Board blanks on a New Series kit as far as tube length goes.

The 3/8" C.B. blanks that BearToothWoods sells are from PSI.

The Cigar size C.B. blanks at BearToothWoods are tubed with "10 mm" brass tubes which are 6 or 7 thousandths bigger than the 3/8

I prefer the Cigar blanks as more authentic circuit boards but they would be 6 or 7 thou too big for the New Series pen components.
That difference in size could be made up by a brass ship about 3 or 4 thou thick, but that would take a tiny bit of fooling around and Rebecca may not want to do that.

You can buy both the New Series kit and the 3/8 C.B. blank from BearToothWoods in Colorado Springs.

You can find the specs for both Cigar and New Series kits at the Berea website or here on IAP website at this location:

http://content.penturners.org/library/general_reference/berea_bush_tube.pdf
I just read for the New Series you have to cut a tenon for the center band. How difficult will it be to cut a tenon onto the circuit board blank?

Or would it look okay to leave the center band off? I dont think the end of the cap would appear finished without the center band since you would see the end of the circuit board.

Jennifer

magpens

The tenon needs to be cut completely through the acrylic and the cast-in Circuit Board, right down to, but not through, the brass tube.

If Rebecca has a skew and some experience using it this should not be a problem, but previous practice with the skew would be necessary .

You could not leave the center band off for the reason you stated.

jennera

The tenon needs to be cut completely through the acrylic and the cast-in Circuit Board, right down to, but not through, the brass tube.

If Rebecca has a skew and some experience using it this should not be a problem, but previous practice with the skew would be necessary .

You could not leave the center band off for the reason you stated.
Great! I have another person interested in purchasing one of these if Rebecca can get the tenon part turned correctly.

I showed the new customer both kits and she preferred the New Series. She is more familiar with fountain pens than I am so it was good to chat with her. She just purchased one of the fountain Tritons from Rebecca and LOVES it.

Thanks again for answering all the questions!

gtriever

Another option would be to cut the New Series blank to exact length and then use a "sacrificial" spacer while turning to prevent movement on the tube.

Last edited:

magpens

The way I read you, that idea may not work if the C.B. blank is already tubed

Another option would be to cut the New Series blank to exact length and then use a "sacrificial" spacer while turning to prevent movement on the tube.

jennera

Ok, another question for both Classic Elite 2 kits and the New Series. Are these pens "convertible" from rollerball to fountain?

Can a rollerball kit take a fountain pen nib and ink? Or would I have to purchase both an FP and RB kit to provide both types?

I hope this is the last question before I place my order. Rebecca started with the Triton kits specifically because they were clearly marked as "convertible" with kits that contained both nibs and I wasn't sure if anyone would be interested in purchasing a fountain pen.

MTViper

The Classic Elite II is not strictly convertible. You can buy fountain pen or roller ball kits. I thought PSI sold replacement nibs for conversion but did not find any. The threads on the CEII are have been improved. I don't remember whether they were metal or plastic. It's been a while since I turned one.

jennera

I ordered one each of the Classic Elite 2 (FP and RB) for her to try.

Since I have 2 people interested and one person liked both kits, I thought Rebecca could do 1 of each Classic Elite and New Series to see what they and we like best.

She enjoys trying new kits and if she likes them, we'll try to keep one in our collection to show people. She tells me I can't keep them all but I tend to disagree... :biggrin:

Thank you for the help! She (PenGoblin) or I will post some photos if they turn out well.

magpens

I doubt that either pen kit (CE II or the New Series) is convertible. But I really don't know.

Last edited:

Rolandranch

In case she ever decides to use the RAW pen kit, here are some tips:

The RAW pens from PSI look great with 3/8 circuit board. However, the bushings it tells you to use are not the correct size. You need to use bushings that are 0.500" or within a couple thousandths. I use the tip bushing and center bushing from PSI's Southwest pen kit (not to be confused with Southwest Mesa). Those should be the correct size but measure with calipers to be sure.

Here are a few photos of what they look like with green (most realistic IMO) but the black looks great too:
KK2X5677_clipped_rev_2.jpg KK2X5832.jpgKK2X5784.jpg

Last edited:

jennera

In case she ever decides to use the RAW pen kit, here are some tips:

The RAW pens from PSI look great with 3/8 circuit board. However, the bushings it tells you to use are not the correct size. You need to use bushings that are 0.500" or within a couple thousandths. I use the tip bushing and center bushing from PSI's Southwest pen kit (not to be confused with Southwest Mesa). Those should be the correct size but measure with calipers to be sure.

Here are a few photos of what they look like with green (most realistic IMO) but the black looks great too:
View attachment 173378 View attachment 173379View attachment 173380
Thanks, Seth! We considered that one and I just ran across your listing on Etsy. Very nice looking and she will probably try one like that eventually. There are quite a few people that are interested in a circuit board rollerball and that kit might be more of what they want.

Thanks for posting the photos! I was wondering what the CB would look like on a gold kit. It is a good combination.

I need to post a photo of the vertex I carry now that she made from the alumillite (I think) blank you sent with our thuya order. It is one of my favorites!

jennera

I doubt that either pen kit (CE II or the New Series) is convertible. But I really don't know.
The Berea fountain nibs for sale on Exoctic blanks site has this in the description:

"Complete Nib Section (Feed, Housing, section and nib) for the*Berea*Atrax,*Baron, Sedona, Triton, Rinehart and New Series (as well as possibly others).

Use as a replacement part, as a quick and easy optional conversion from a*rollerball.*Medium point nib. Chrome plated section."

So I am hoping that means the FP nib will fit on the rollerball New Series RB. We should know in the next week or two!

She is a little unsure of cutting the tenon but her Dad said he will help with that. I might have to glue up some scraps for her to practice with before trying the circuit board. We have some grab bag acryllic that would probably be good for that.

Csteck00

I'll throw my two-cents worth opinion in on this discussion. I have turned several CB pens and have used the traditional green, black, white, and red. In my opinion, the red looks great with a brass or gold pen. I have turned several red CBs with brass raw pens and they looked really nice. however, when I am turning for tech folks they like the traditional green - with all of that being said I have had great response with the green cb and a chrome Knurl Twist with a stylus tip.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=173383&stc=1&d=1519226484

Attachments

• Knurl with Green CB.jpg
    Knurl with Green CB.jpg
    280.4 KB · Views: 195

pshrynk

Just got a CEII roller ball and fountain pen set to make as a set and the instructions are for both on the same piece of paper, so they might be convertible if you had an extra kit to cannibalize. They're a bit down the list for projects to do, so I can't tell you for sure if they're interchangeable, however.

jennera

The Classic Elite II is not strictly convertible. You can buy fountain pen or roller ball kits. I thought PSI sold replacement nibs for conversion but did not find any. The threads on the CEII are have been improved. I don't remember whether they were metal or plastic. It's been a while since I turned one.

The kits came yesterday and she turned one (I will post pictures soon). It looks very nice except there was a spot that was flawed in the cast or cracked when she turned it.

She assembled the pen as a rollerball and I was able to take the fountain pen housing and put it on the pen. It can be used as both fountain and rollerball just by swapping the tips.

But now I"m not finding where I can purchase the fountain pen tip for those kits individually. Before I purchased the kits, I thought I had found them on one of the sites (Bear Tooth maybe?) but they are not there now and I didn't write stuff down so I'd remember.

I'll contact some of the vendors and see if they could sell them individually. I guess I could just buy each kit like I did and save the extra parts but I will need to make sure to include that when I price out the pen.

:D

I can't wait to see how the New Series pen turns out!

jennera

Here is the Classic Elite. We are struggling with getting the 3/8" blank to work with the V sized bushings. Any tips to get it to work would be appreciated.

Unfortunately, Rebecca hasnt learned to turn using the calipers yet.
0a1ea8f53da343a4ee26b4e239f91c79.jpg

magpens

V-size drill diameter = 0.377"; 3/8" = 0.375". . The brass tube outside diameter will be something like 0.365"; inside about 0.348" ...
... just close estimates.

You don't need calipers for this job, really, although calipers are always useful, and, in my opinion a must-have.

The Classic Elite kit pen parts are slightly over-sized for the 3/8" tube inside diameter, but only very slightly ... about 0.002" approx.

You can enlarge the inside diameter of the brass tube slightly using sandpaper wrapped on a rod.

If you end up enlarging too much, a little bit of glue (epoxy, I would say) will take care of that.

Let us know if you need any more advice. That includes Math and Science homework !!

Last edited:

jennera

That sounds easy enough! We will give that a try tomorrow.

Speaking of science homework....I received a text from Rebecca Friday while I was at work and she at school. It was a photo of a cheeto being burned over a bunsen burner. She claims they were learning how to measure caloric energy. :)

Thanks again, Mal!

Jennifer

magpens

Well, I don't know anything about the caloric content of Cheetohs, but I love nibbling on them. I am out of them right now, so would gratefully accept any you can spare in exchange for solving some Math problems ... or Physics problems ... please no health science problems .... :biggrin:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The Berea fountain nibs for sale on Exoctic blanks site has this in the description:

"Complete Nib Section (Feed, Housing, section and nib) for the*Berea*Atrax,*Baron, Sedona, Triton, Rinehart and New Series (as well as possibly others).

Use as a replacement part, as a quick and easy optional conversion from a*rollerball.*Medium point nib. Chrome plated section."

So I am hoping that means the FP nib will fit on the rollerball New Series RB. We should know in the next week or two!

She is a little unsure of cutting the tenon but her Dad said he will help with that. I might have to glue up some scraps for her to practice with before trying the circuit board. We have some grab bag acryllic that would probably be good for that.

When we wrote that, I tested the nib on each pen to be sure it would work. Berea assured me that they had no plan to change any of those pens. So, it SHOULD work. But like all claims I make, if I turn out to be wrong, we will certainly give you a refund if you return any parts that have not been altered. In fact, if you don't like any part of anything, and you don't machine it at all, we will issue a refund. We want you to be HAPPY!!!

Thanks for all the referrals above!!!!

Ed

pshrynk

Well, I don't know anything about the caloric content of Cheetohs, but I love nibbling on them. I am out of them right now, so would gratefully accept any you can spare in exchange for solving some Math problems ... or Physics problems ... please no health science problems .... :biggrin:

I'll do the health science problems for Doritos! :cool:

A very striking pen, by the way. Great job!

Top Bottom