Circuit Board Blank/Zen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

Today, I have a question.....(and yes, I did check the library reference chart)

While looking at the PSI catalog, I found circuit board blanks in 4 different tube sizes. Just cut to length as needed.
7mm, 8mm, 3/8", and 10mm.
I am thinking it is the 10mm as the Zen directions say to use a 10.5mm drill bit.

Can someone confirm which one will fit a CSUSA Artisan Zen...if any?

Thanks in advance

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

toddlajoie

I would suggest you measure how thick the hardware is (the part you press in to the tube), but if it is thick enough, you may be able to turn it down enough to fit in the 10mm tube of the circuit board blanks... I don't have a Zen kit around to check the thickness of the hardware, so I can't confirm, but I have done similar with a few other pen kits...

Crashmph

I have made the zen before with two 27/64 blanks or one blank with "spacers" (think thick "oops bands") on the ends. to get the 10.5 tub to fit in the 27/64 tube, you will have to sand the tub thinner.

There are a few options to achieve this.

Option 1:

1. Use two 27/64 circuitboard blanks.
  2. barrel trim the ends and trim extras off of the blank to allow a fulsh but joint.
  3. put a transition piece between the two such as aluminum roof sheeting.
  4. Use a 10mm tube to glue together the tubes of the 27/64 circuit blank and the aluminum spacer. Use epoxy, not CA
  5. Then trim to the needed total length for the Zen tube
  6. Take the zen tube and sand it so the OD of the tube will fit in the ID of the new blank you have made. You only need about two pieces of a half inch, one for each end. You do not want this "thinned" tube to be a press fit in the blank or your zen parts will struggle to fit on final assembly.
  7. Turn as required
Option 2:

1. Use one 27/64 circuit blank
  2. Turn the blank down to close to the diameter needed. (this step is not required, but I find I have better success when I don't have as much material to remove on the two joints in the tube.)
  3. Take the zen tube and cut it in half.
  4. Sand it so the OD of one end of the the tube will fit in the ID of the 27/64 circuit blank. You only need about two pieces of a half inch to stick into the 27/64 circuit blank.
  5. Glue each half in to the 27/64 circuit blank. Trim the overall length to match that of the original Zen tube. I would use epoxy and not CA.
  6. Make some oops material to fit on the exposed brass.
  7. Turn as required.

Top Bottom