Cigarwood ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred in NC

Thinking about cigar pens, but not the usual cigar kits. Just a pen made like a real cigar.

Anybody have any ideas about wood for this? Walnut of some kind?
Thanks !

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
There's one in the PMG gallery but I for got which one.
I have tried Stabilizing an actal cigr.Haven't given up yet but that one DOES take a lot of CA.
Theyre kind of tough to drill though.
Wenge would be another good choice.

Mainebowlman

Fred, I'm looking for the same answer. Someone in our tourist town has a cigar shop and said if I could make a pen that looks like a cigar, he could sell lots of them. Ka-ching! Need a wood <u>and </u>a great practical design. (Gotta go after the eagle in me.)

Jack

Fangar

Originally posted by cteaglesc
<br />There's one in the PMG gallery but I for got which one.
I have tried Stabilizing an actal cigr.Haven't given up yet but that one DOES take a lot of CA.
Theyre kind of tough to drill though.
Wenge would be another good choice.

Now that would be "SMOKIN" cool if it turned out!

What about soaking a large tobacco leaf in a liquid solution (Maybe even water) and wrapping a preturned blank set, then coating in thick CA and working it back down. Great, something else to try.

James

JimGo

There's actually a blank made out of tobacco that someone is/was selling. Anthony (Penworks) made a fountain pen out of it a while ago, and it came out pretty cool.

Fred in NC

Getting an actual tobacco leaf might be hard, even where I live (they still grow tobacco around here, but not a lot of it). Making a cigar shaped blank and wrapping in a real tobacco leaf should look like the real thing, especially if it does not shine way too much. CA will probably do the trick.

I doubt that any kind of wood will be an exact replica, but maybe some kind of look the right way.

Thanks everyone !

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
My Family owns a shade tobacco farm in Ct.I spent many hours on working with tobacco.
In order to handle the leaves after curing they need to have moisture added.In that state they are very pliable.When dry they crumble up like a handful of dry autumn leaves.
I am not saying it can't be done, but the way that I will procede is with a finished cigar rather than an leaf.
I can get all the "leaves" I want.'Sides,I love a challenge.

pipemaker

As Eaglesc said, damp tobacco is very pliable. It should be easy to peel the outer tobacco wrapper, which is cut from whole leaf , from an existing cigar.
I am going to try wrapping this on a bias,over a cigar shaped wood blank and securing it with a water based clear matt acrylic paint.
I just have to decide if I want a Claro, a Natural or a Maduro.[:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom