Cigars - Feel expensive, sound cheap?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

warreng8170

I just made my first two cigar pens (which I hope to post in SOYP tonight). I REALLY like this kit. It feels solid and has lots of surface area to show off the wood. What I don't like however (assuming this is normal) is on both of the ones that I made, the refill clanks around inside the pen. Is this just a characteristic of this pen? If so do you guys have any tricks to stop it? It really cheapens the feel of what seems to be an otherwise great kit.

-warren

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

karlkuehn

Banned
Mine don't clank either.

Have you tried filling the barrel with CA? (KIDDING, don't do this!) heh [:p]

Mike's got a good point about the spring. I get all my cigars from Bear Tooth (Berea), and the spring is almost always on the refill already, so I never think about it much.

warreng8170

Both kits are Black Titaniums from CSUSA and they do have the spring on them. I'll have to dissassemble them down as far as I can to see if I can figure out where the noise is coming from.

-warren

bobskio2003

One thing you might want to try is seeing if the nib is tight. Sometimes these come seperately and sometimes they don't but all of them I ever seen come apart and sometimes are loose. Bob I.

twoofakind

I noticed on some of mine that the spring "rattles", for the lack of a better term, inside the nib when retracted. Are you talking about with the point extended? I stretched the spring ever so gently on mine and it kept the pressure on it.
Andy

warreng8170

Originally posted by twoofakind

I noticed on some of mine that the spring "rattles", for the lack of a better term, inside the nib when retracted. Are you talking about with the point extended? I stretched the spring ever so gently on mine and it kept the pressure on it.
Andy

After taking the pen apart and checking everything, it is the refill/spring "rattling" back and forth inside the nib. I tried stretching the spring a little and it *may* have helped a little. Still seems to make more noise than I would expect.

I've got some cigar kits from AS. I'll try one of those next and see if it has the same issue. If so, I'll chalk it up to me being to picky.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll update after I build the next one.

-warren

randyrls

Originally posted by warreng8170

After taking the pen apart and checking everything, it is the refill/spring "rattling" back and forth inside the nib. I tried stretching the spring a little and it *may* have helped a little. Still seems to make more noise than I would expect.

I've got some cigar kits from AS. I'll try one of those next and see if it has the same issue. If so, I'll chalk it up to me being to picky.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll update after I build the next one.

-warren

Warren; Does the pen work? I once switched the tubes when mounting on the lathe. UGH! not fixable after turning because the tubes are not turned to the same size. :(

Top Bottom