Cigars

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

IPD_Mrs

I have only done cigars kits from woodnwhimsies. Are the cigar kits from CSUSA worth the extra bucks? Not that I have had any problems with the kits from woodnwhimsies, just looking for the best quality to offer my customers.

Mike & Linda

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stevers

I have a bunch from Wood Whimsies and have been happy with them. They are single twist units, not double twisters. I personally don't care. Sometimes its nicer. I haven't had one long enough to know about the platings. Alls good so far. And when you buy a couple dozen, the price matters.

IPD_Mrs

I am happy with them too, I was just wondering if the extra 2-3 times the price was worth it, from a weight/plating/mechanism point of view. Sometimes I feel a little funny putting a $5.00 blank on a $3.50 kit. Then again I also did a Koa the other day on a cigar that if it wasn't a gift, I wouldn't have been bashful about asking $50 for it. I guess I am just throwing things up in the air and looking for input from the more experienced. The School of Hard Knocks insn't always the best teacher. [:eek:)]

Mike

Rifleman1776

Mike, I can't agree with your reasoning. Sometimes the blank is a much higher investment than the kit. e.g. snakeskins or the stars and stripes kits, etc. As long as you use quality platings, price your work on what it is worth as a finished product.

GaryMGg

If we're talking a plain acrylic blank or a decent burl/spalted/figured wood, for me the added cost on a Cigar kit isn't worth it compared to a chrome plating.

If you're doing segments, knots, inlays, or some such customization of the blank that's where the value is. With those, the effort to make the blank exceeds any added cost an upgraded kit's plating might add.

GBusardo

I have gotten kits from almost all the suppliers listed in this forum. Not that I buy a ton of kits, but I have been noticing on some of the "discount pens" the platings don't seem as smooth. I got a few cigars with Rhodium platings that are a little bumpy. I can say that the foremen black TI kits I got from Woodpenpro are real nice.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by Rmartin
<br />I only buy Berea Cigar kits. They have the plating, period.

Berea makes a great product and I sure they would be happy with your loyalty.

I DRIVE a Durango. But, when buying the car, I also drove the GMC and Ford equivalents to make an informed decision.

To each his own!!!

Oh, and I have sold a hundred or so pens from kits from WoodnWhimsies, I will be ordering more SOON. But I also use some kits from Berea, and CSUSA and Beartoothwoods and Arizona Silhouette and Woodturningz and POC. I like them all (for different reasons and for different kits!)

Rmartin

It's not a matter of opinion. The Berea 24K gold titanium Cigars have two layers of titanium nitrate with a layer of 24K gold in between. The others don't do that. AS sells the Berea kit.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
<br />It's not a matter of opinion. The Berea 24K gold titanium Cigars have two layers of titanium nitrate with a layer of 24K gold in between. The others don't do that. AS sells the Berea kit.

That's very interesting.

How do you KNOW that to be true?

What function does the 24K gold serve?
Is the top coat of Titanium nitrate "see through", so the Gold can be seen?

This is NOT meant to be argumentative, I am very interested in the science here???

Rmartin

I'm just going by what Berea lists on their website. They state they are the only ones in the world who use this process. I have no reason to doubt them, but I have no first hand knowledge having never been to the factory. I also buy kits from the various suppliers, but I buy my Cigars from Berea.

Rmartin

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Bulletin:

Website information is advertising that is NOT subject to "truth" laws.

In other words, it can be HYPED significantly!
Jim at Berea "knows his stuff". However, I don't believe he knows what everyone else in the world is doing. And I never understood why 24kt gold UNDERNEATH the titanium made any difference!! Unless titanium is transparent. That's why I asked, I have heard Jim's explanation (from Jim) and don't understand WHY I should be impressed!!!

But, thanks for the clarification.

gerryr

I've used cigar kits from Berea, CSUSA and Wood Pen Pro. My decision on where to buy is based on what platings I need at that particular time. I use mostly Berea cigars now plus some from Wood Pen Pro with platings that nobody else has.

As far as the ti coatings are concerned, the "natural" color of titanium nitride is very similar to gold, but the coating can also be colored. Using cheap 24K gold between two layers of TiN coating seems pretty nonsensical to me, but I suppose that could explain the difference in color between Berea's Ti Gold and CSUSA's Ti Gold plating.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
<br />
That's why I asked, I have heard Jim's explanation (from Jim)

If you've already spoken to Berea, then why are you asking me?

It was YEARS ago and I did NOT understand what was the "selling feature". Thought maybe you were more knowledgeable than I (about plating matters) and could tell me why I should be impressed with this answer (Ti over Au over Ti). Just looking to become better informed and develop MY sales pitch.[:p][:p][:p]

That's it, no sinister motives.

IPD_Mrs

Originally posted by ed4copies

Just looking to become better informed and develop MY sales pitch.[:p][:p][:p]
[/quote]

Public service anouncement........

After the above comment, everyone please don their hip waders. [:eek:)][:eek:)]

Rmartin

Well, sarcasim aside, I think there is a sales pitch to be found here, but I'm a natural salesman don't cha know.

Which sounds better to the lady?

It's a nitride plating that LOOKS like gold, very durable.

Or,

It's real 24K GOLD layered between titanium which makes it virtually indistructable.

I'm not saying I know how a woman thinks, but, when she's buying her 8 year old some new jeans, she's thinking durable, but when she's buying jewlery, which is what the classification handmade pens fall into, you've got her at 24K Gold.

I'm just saying,
Rmartin

redfishsc

Ti gold is VERY EASY to sell.

If you can ever get yourself a REAL MONT BLANC that has the usual gold plating worn off of it ( and they aren't hard to find) just keep it around and show your customers what real gold looks like after heavy use, and then show them a Ti gold pen you have used that has NOT worn off.

Then tell them how much that Mont Blanc cost brand new and tell them what yours does.

Sold.

FWIW, I have found Berea's kits to be pretty tough and trustworthy EXCEPT ANY AMERICAN TWIST pen and the Euro double-twist. Those are the worst pens ever manufactured by any company, and I would rather write with a bic. [:0]

That being said, I have some Berea cigars that I made two years ago, one of them I use daily in the woodshop, and the platinum plating only wore off because I drop it, scrape it, gore it, etc.....--- and the twist mechanism works as good as new (though I have to admit that I drizzle a little LPS lubricant into the tranny of all my cigar pens, which smooooooths them out a LOT).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom