Cigar twist adjustment

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodnknots

I am having a problem with how far some of my cigar pens extend the ink cartridge after they are assembled. They are extending too far. I first thought that I had trimmed too much of the tube, and that was the problem, but I did one today where the trimmer barely even touched the tube, and the cartridge extended WAY too far for my taste. Can this be adjusted???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WoodChucker

Dave, that's really strange. I don't see any other reason for it to stick out to far. Does the end of the point go completely inside when you close it?

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Can you post a pic of the pen with the refill extended...

There is no adjustment for the mechanism on a cigar pen... However, I had a similar problem on some kits.. and when I measured the refills found that they were longer than the Parker brand refills I had bought... remember the refill you get with the kit is a cheap import and the quality control is not up to the standards of the name brands... check the length of the refill... on the ones that were too long, I sanded the little button at the top of the plastic level and they looked real good.. the name brands fit perfectly...
Just a thought... Been there done that... LOL

Daniel

Ben and I just assembled his second cigar today. I noticed this. I asked if he had trimmed the lower barrel a bit short and he said no. if you have a small shim type washer you could place it over the threads at the center band adn cause the transmisson to be moved back in relation to the tip of the pen. but I agree with the slightly to long refill theory.

Sawdustier

Can I come and get what you've sanded off? The problem I had with length was that it was too short. The tip was exposed enough to write with but looked strange. A genuine Parker refill fixed the problem.

WoodChucker

Where are you guys buying the cigar pens that your having trouble with? I've only made about 30 of them and they all came from Bill or CSUSA, I've never ran into this problem. But now I know how to fix it when it does happen, so thanks for the tips?

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
RT all my cigars are from Bill... but occassionally you just get a long refill... very rarely in my case but they do come up sometimes

Daniel

I think Ben said his came from Berea. I'm not even sure Berea has a cigar pen. but if it is then Berea finally has a mark on the positive side with me. I am impressed with this one. with the exception of the refill thing. and that doesn't seem to be the pen itself anyway.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Daniel, all the cigars that Bill B sells are Berea kits... that is why I only buy them from him... I know I am getting good plating and a price I can't beat anywhere.... of course the free eye candy don't hurt.. LOL

Daniel

I jsut found some other info concerning this situation.
seems someone that had several kits (Berea Black TN only) noticed several of them had shorter lower ubes than the others. several responces to this where made by others having this same problem. the tip of the refill extending to far. there solution is to get correct length lower tubes. either by making there own or I suspect contacting Berea. possibly this is a situation. that will increasingly show up througout the line of Cigar pens. possibly not. Bens pen was not a Black TN. but it was Berea.

Daniel

Oh the correct length for the lower tube is. 2.092 inches.
anyone up for a bulk buy on digital calipers :)
start measuring folks.
seriously if you need an accurate but not to expensive measuring device. HF sells digital clipers at a very good price.

its_virgil

Some of the Berea cigars that I've purchased recently had the longer bottom tube that was about .032 too short. They were the Black TN but others are reporting the same thing with other cigar platings. I have started measuring all kits tubes prior to working on a pen. The first two I had I added an accent ring to the lower section, but the pens was toeether before I noticed the problem. Had to disassemble and add the accent ring, turn and reassemble. Now I measure first and keep extra sets of tube just in case.
Do a good turnb daily!
Don

Randy_

There is a thread running right now in the Yahoo pen group about this very subject. Some of the tubes in some Berea cigar pen kits are coming up short by about 0.044". It is not an isolated incident and has been happening for a while.

Apparently, no one has contacted Berea about the problem?? Seems to me that would have been the first thing to do??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom