Cigar splitting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

dscott

I have made 4 cigar pen and everyone of them have started to split not a big spot more like a hairline all help would be nice they have been from 4 different types of wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wayneis

If you are using CA glue then switch to either epoxy or Poly like Gorilla. When you use CA its sometimes very hard to tell if you have any inside the tubes. The other thing is make sure that you are pressing the parts in straight, even if you are just a timy bit off center bad things will happen.

Wayne

JimGo

Same problem here. One thing I just saw on a TIVO'd version of Wood Turning Techniques on DIY is to use a clamp to squish the parts together (they used one of those trigger-activated things, whatever they're called). I think that would be a lot easier to align the parts than trying to eyeball everything on my drill press.

vick

also watch out for burr's on tubes caused from using your pen mill a touch to far. Even a small burr can cause a crack when the parts are pressed.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
After milling the ends, use a reamer to flare (very, very slightly-10 degrees or so, half a millimeter in) the tube. This will remove any glue and help straighten fittings for future assembly.

dubdrvrkev

Originally posted by vick
<br />also watch out for burr's on tubes caused from using your pen mill a touch to far. Even a small burr can cause a crack when the parts are pressed.

Yeah, so I think I just did this on a Baron. So, lets say it does happen, is there anyway to repair the split or is this a dis-assembly and start over moment?

My tube had a little dent in it, prior to me possibly fouling it up even more and I just kind went on my merry way and then crack right at the center band. Little tiny hairline but its there laughing at me. [:(!]

JimGo

Kevin,
I don't think there's a way to fix it. About the best you can do is fill it with CA or some stone, embossing powder, or the like.

dubdrvrkev

I may just put a drop of thin CA on it buff and a little tsw and call it another one of "my" pens. Hate for it to go to waste since it is a black locust burl.

Daniel

I have been able to fill small cracks with a drop of CA and then carefully sanding it out by hand all the way through 12000 MM. protect the metal parts with masking tape or electrical tape. gold will not stand up for any time at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom