Cigar replica pen in progress

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

aggromere

Will all the talk about cigar pens I thought I would post some pics of one I am in the progress of making. It is a macanudo. The glue on the label is drying and my garage is too hot to work for now so I thought I would take a few pics and show them.

I tried a different wood this time, going for the kinda greenish tint to some of the Macanudo cigar wrappers. It is a piece of box elder burl, dyed with a homemade mix of yellow and black. I think it turned out nice. If you are a cigar smoker, it looks like you could pick it up and smoke it. Sometimes I put an ash end on it using acrylic, as I did with this one, but I mostly make them without to resemble an unlit cigar. This one I had a problem with the length when I was drilling and had to put it on.

When I make these kind of pens, the hardest part is getting the centerband(though bandless) to match up in exact size. So i made a little jig of sorts out of maple that tightly fits into each tube. It sure helps.

First I get the blank rough rounded then drill, glue and sqaure the tubes. Rather than use my closed end mandrels at this step and put the two pieces back to gether using the jig and turn them just like a blank I'm sizing on the lathe till I get the right size. I then sand to 600, separate and clean up and finish the ends of the pen using the mandrels.

At this stage, after the label is dry from gluing I coat it with a thin coat of decoupage hard coat, let it dry for a day and then finish on the mandrels as usual with CA and BLO. I don't know of anyway to seal the whole thing to protect and keep this same raw matt finish so if anyone knows how, I would appreciate any pointers.

Attachments

• DSCN0874.jpg
    DSCN0874.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 402
  • DSCN0874-crop.jpg
    DSCN0874-crop.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 332
  • DSCN0879.jpg
    DSCN0879.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 324
  • DSCN0880-crop.jpg
    DSCN0880-crop.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 315
  • DSCN0881-crop.jpg
    DSCN0881-crop.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 330
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

aggromere

Yes. I push it further up into the upper tube so it creates a space for the lip on the nib holder that screws into it so the pen closes flush. I also learned a trick here on finishing. After I get my CA finish nice and shiny I go over it (with lathe off) with some 0000 steel wool. It gives it a more natural look.

Attachments

• DSCN0882-crop.jpg
    DSCN0882-crop.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 240
  • DSCN0886-crop.jpg
    DSCN0886-crop.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 273
Top Bottom