cigar question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CREID

Ok, I have, oh I don't know, about 7 - 10 cigar kits. They were given to me about 6 years ago. I have no Idea how long this guy had them before me. I bought a used lathe from him and he threw them in with the deal. The package say's WCO-135-HP+C-1. I google it and it came up as Berea cigar upgrade gold. The description at their site says premium Taiwanese Pen Kit. Since these are I would say at least 7 years old and quite possible more than that. How do you all think the plating on these has held up over all that time. They have been in the basement for 3 years here, in the house where I used to live for about 3 years and in the shed of the guy who gave them to me for who knows how long. I will turn them and make pens, but I am not sure I feel comfortable how the plating will hold up after not being kept in the most ideal conditions for such a long time.
Thanx
Curt

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

Gold doesn't tarnish over time ... but those things aren't made of pure gold, nor are they plated all over 100% ... check the component kits for rust and make sure the transmission works properly. If that all checks out, you're good to go.

KenV

About then upgrade gold meant that it was "clear coated" over the gold. In days of yore, unprotected gold plating was very thin and very soft -- wore through to the brass very quickly. The upgrade gold added lots of wear resistance.

Should be good to go -- Cigar pens have not changed much over the years.

Suggest using calipers to account for minor changes in sizes -- rather than relying on bushings to get the match to the components just right.

Sabaharr

OK then send them to me in Louisiana. I will make up say 5 or 6 of them and send you the rest back with my evaluation. You can proceed from there.

Top Bottom