Cigar question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dansills

Having what i think is an issue with my first cigar pen. Did a search and couldn't find the answer .. Hopefully someone can chime in.

I am going through and making some kits that I've had stashed in a drawer for a while. Can't remember which supplier it came from but does appear to be just a chrome cigar (big ben maybe or ultra). My question is - do all cigar's twist both left and right to open/close or is there something wrong with this kit? I apologize upfront if this one is dumb - just have no experience with them and it seems odd to me.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

D.Oliver

Every cigar that I have ever made twist both ways. Sometimes to start off they twist hard and might unscrew from the coupler, rather than twisting the tranny counterclockwise, but once you get them to twist once or twice they seem to free up and work properly.

walshjp17

Just tried a few -- Ultras and regular cigars -- some open both ways, a few do not. Do not recall if they all came from the same manufacturer, but I do know the one's I get from Woodcraft (Berea, I think) open by twisting either way.

PenMan1

Yes and no!

ALL of the Big Ben (PSI) cigar pens that I have made have left or right trannies, meaning that the will open either way.

MOST of the Berea cigars (BHW, Arizona, Woodcraft, Rockler, Exotics) that I've made are left and right (I'm thinking the Ultra Hybrid is one way-SOMEONE PLEASE HELP, I may have this one wrong).

MANY of the Dayacoms are right open only.

Since this is your first cigar, I'll share something. I quit making cigars BECAUSE of the double twist transmission. It is really a customer problem, but extreme care must be taken before putting a double twist cigar pen into a dress shirt pocket. UNLESS the double twist is perfectly closed, it will mark up a dress shirt. This is particularly bad if you chose to load the pen with indelible gel ink.

My preference would be a "single twist" cigar, but that's just a preference. These pens (regardless of the brand) balance well and write beautifully.

Respectfully submitted.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Yes and no!

ALL of the Big Ben (PSI) cigar pens that I have made have left or right trannies, meaning that the will open either way.

MOST of the Berea cigars (BHW, Arizona, Woodcraft, Rockler, Exotics) that I've made are left and right (I'm thinking the Ultra Hybrid is one way-SOMEONE PLEASE HELP, I may have this one wrong).

Since this is your first cigar, I'll share something. I quit making cigars BECAUSE of the double twist transmission. It is really a customer problem, but extreme care must be taken before putting a double twist cigar pen into a dress shirt pocket. UNLESS the double twist is perfectly closed, it will mark up a dress shirt. This is particularly bad if you chose to load the pen with indelible gel ink.

My preference would be a "single twist" cigar, but that's just a preference. These pens (regardless of the brand) balance well and write beautifully.

Respectfully submitted.
I think you nailed it .... but even Dayacom you'd better ask if you want them to twist only one way because not all of theirs are one way. I can order cigars from my supplier with one way twists but have seen no reason to do that, no one seems to ask for them.

walshjp17

Yes and no!

Respectfully submitted.

I have a few Ultra Hybrids and they 'go both ways' :biggrin:

PenMan1

Thanks, John. There was one unit (Berea, I think) that was always single twist, regardless of plating, but it's been so long I can't remember which one. I was thinking it was the Hybrid, but couldn't remember.

PenMan1

This is CERTAINLY NOT meant to discourage ANYONE from making cigars, as each venue is different.

About 5 or 6 years ago, I had a very strong market for cigars, and then about 3 years ago, I literally had to give away (charities, et al) my remaining stock.

It may be time to RE-introduce the cigar to this market:). People here tend to buy things that haven't seen before.

dansills

Yes and no!

Respectfully submitted.

Exactly my issue Andy .. Why would anyone want a pen that wasn't relatively simple to 'close'. I envisioned many ruined shirt pockets when I got done putting this thing together.

Yes and no!

Respectfully submitted.
I think you nailed it .... but even Dayacom you'd better ask if you want them to twist only one way because not all of theirs are one way. I can order cigars from my supplier with one way twists but have seen no reason to do that, no one seems to ask for them.

Smitty - can I swap you these rhodium and black TI ones for the single twist ones? I really don't want to make any more with the 'double twist' - not even to give away.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Somebody on here used to sell single twist trannies, stand alone. But I forgot who, because I quit making cigars.
I remember that Andy but I don't remember who it was either --- I do know that they had a disclaimer that said every now and then one would be two way.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Yes and no!

Respectfully submitted.

Exactly my issue Andy .. Why would anyone want a pen that wasn't relatively simple to 'close'. I envisioned many ruined shirt pockets when I got done putting this thing together.

Yes and no!

Respectfully submitted.

Smitty - can I swap you these rhodium and black TI ones for the single twist ones? I really don't want to make any more with the 'double twist' - not even to give away.
I don't have any single twist on hand. I will see if I can get transmissions. I'd have to order at least 1000 kits to have them make single twist and that would be just one finish.

dansills

Just transmissions would be ideal ... Let me know if you can and how much. Seems to me it should be a relatively hot item. I'll gladly purchase some and I'll hold off on further cigar's until I hear something from you.

PenMan1

In keeping with my OWN policy, I try NOT to endorse or recommend a particular vendor or speak poorly of ANY VENDOR here unless the product or service that I recieved was completely unacceptable.

I would have BET BIG SUMS of money that those very nice Schmidt single twist cigar trannies I bought came from Richard Greenwald, Exotic Blanks, Indy Pen Dance or Smittys Penworks. Smitty has already stated that it was NOT him. I just checked Richard, Indy and Exotics and none of these companies list them.

I AM NOT Recommending or discouraging purchase from this site. BUT according to my purchase records, I have done business with this company before and I did not make a note to NOT buy from them again.

Cigar Pen Transmission
has cigar transmissions listed as stand alone purchase items. They do NOT state that they are the Schmidt Transmissions OR that they are single twists. BUT, at one point I did buy a good number of transmissions from them. It may be worth an e-mail to determine if these are the single twist and/or Schmidt transmissions.

Respectfully submitted by an unintentional worm can opener.

Top Bottom