Cigar problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkHix

I turned my fist cigars today and one of them will not retract all the way. The end sticks out of the nib just barely. Any ideas on what I can do to fix it. The mechanism turns fine, it just won't retract all the way. Thanks in advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russianwolf

when you turn the mechanism to the retracted position, can you nudge the refill in with your finger? I have one that's like that.

if so,

1)Try swapping the spring with another kit, maybe you got a bad one that's not strong enough.

2)And make sure the refill isn't binding inside the nib (I had to ream one out just barely one time)

3)the transmition may have some grease inside it that's also not letting the internal parts retract even though you've untwisted it. Not sure what to do if that's the case.

If you can't nudge it back into the body, then your lower barrel section may be too short.

I use mine as a shop pen, so I've never fixed it.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Most likely, you faced the lower tube too well and shortened it.

Some of the kits have made that a CRITICAL adjustment. (Who knows WHY??)

Future plan, don't get quite to the brass when facing the end, leave a smidge of material there. Then, put thin CA on the ends, leave overnight before turning (otherwise, with the end not supported, it will crush easily if you put too much pressure on it while assembling.)

If it is indeed a spring problem, simply stretch the spring and reinstall.

What Ed and Linc said...cigars are REAL touchy about proper length on the blanks. Having the top blank too short will create the same problem, since the transmission "locks" into the small inner tube which is attached to the cap.

Brewmeister35

I've had the same problem by having the lower tube too short. You may be able to disassemble the pen and save the parts but you'll more than likely need new tubes.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
You CAN insert a spacer under the transmission male screw part. Then, CA the part back in place. It will hold the spacer.

CAN look good if you, like me, stock 10 different colors of acrylic sheet (1/8") and some guitar pick-guard material, etc.

Of course, I have never used any of this, cause I've NEVER made a tube too short. But, I've read a lot about it, so I wanna be ready if I ever get shipped a defective one!!![;)][;)][;)][;)]

MarkHix

Thanks for all the help. I did shorten the tube. Ed, if you are ever in need of a shortened tube, I KNOW how to do that and can supply you with several sizes! It wasn't critical on some of the other styles I have turned but I measured and sure enough, every little bit counted. This was actually my second attempt at a cigar, on the first, I swapped the 2 middle sized bushings. It is still a cool pen, just not right. I should change my saying to "every pen is an education". Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom