Cigar Pens from Woodturningz--- rough twist?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

redfishsc

I ordered some black ti cigars (see the show-off forum for pics) from Woodturningz. I immediately noticed they weren't PSI cigars since the PSI black ti cigars have chrome-looking accents rather than black epoxy (I didn't really care).

Anyhow, I called them about it and they said that the black ti are an import they bring in themselves, and they seem good. The Ti plating really is beautiful.

Just one problem. The black enamel accent on the upper barrel band that accepts the pen tranny is too narrow. The enamel is too thick on several of the pens. Makes the twist action rough and crude feeling. Anyone else have this problem? I can use some 600 grit silicone carbide paper to file it down inside the band, I'm sure... or perhaps chuck it on lathe and sand down the tranny a tad... just a bit frustrating.

I haven't even bugged Woodturningz about it yet, thought I'd ask here if anyone else had that problem.

Matt

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sylvanite

I bought a bunch of cigar kits and wound up with several that have an upper centerband that is slightly undersized and binds on the transmission. I now test every upper/lower centerband pair before assembly and if it binds, I ream out the upper centerband with a "P" drill bit.

Works like a charm.

Regards,
Eric

knottyharry

I have some that I purchased recently, but they are still in the box.
I'll have to watch them closely.
The thing is though... we shouldn't have to be doing this to make the stuff fit.
Harry

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
The black piece is only a guide.The tranny engages in the finial cap.
You can remove that black piece entire ly and the pen will still work providing the length is correct

redfishsc

Eagle, I'm not quite understanding what you're saying. Can you elaborate a bit more? Why would I want to remove the black piece (other than trying to make my own cb)?

Knotty, you are right.

All four of the Black Ti kits and the one copper kit have this problem.

Sylvanite, thanks for the P-size drill bit suggestion. I'll give that a shot. I was also considering chucking the tranny holder (the part that's binding on the center band) on my mini-jaw chuck and sanding away a few thousanths with some carbide sandpaper.

redfishsc

Since I'm not the only one with this problem, I just emailed Ryan at Woodturningz to bring the snafu to his attention. They are good people, I'm interested to hear what they say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom