Cigar pens???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I see alot of cigar pens made here and that includes myself. Well I ran into a problem today with a couple cigars I made. I pressed the parts together as I always do. I wanted to line up a pattern a smidegon so I went to pull the top off to reset and the center ring part came out of the tube and this happened to 2 pens. I have never had this happen before but now I am worried.

Here is my couple of questions regarding this kit or it can actually apply to all kits. Do you glue your parts in the tube with either CA glue or locktite??? Do you glue the cigar kit parts in???

Second question how do you instruct the customer to replace the insert when need be??? There is actually 2 different ways but I am now leaning to one way in particular but this will depend on the first question. I would like to hear from all you good folks first before I make a dissicion.

When you give an answer please give a reason why you do what you do. Maybe this will help others and then again maybe it is only me having the problem. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

David M

i haven't had that problem on cigar style .the slims are another story. i have had the top clip to work loose after awhile .after that i have been gluing the clip only. i dont know if it was a time thing or change of weather or what , but i think its been okay from that point on .
just a small amount on the inside of the tube so it dont squeeze out to the outside on material.
David

dexter0606

Typically I glue the parts into the barrel of the pen only. I just figure that these are the parts that are the most likely to loosen after using the pen awhile. I use a small amount of CA and wipe it around the inside of the tube with a toothpick.
I always instruct my customers to unscrew the cap, never pull it apart, when changing refills.

Jeff

its_virgil

I typically glue in all parts that press into the ends of the tubes. I use lock tight...one small drop. Lock tight holds and can be broken lose if disassembly is required. I don't like using CA for gluing any pen parts, including tiubes. Clean up can be problematic and working time is often too little. Lock tight cleans off easily if necessary. I clean excess glue with a Q-tip if needed and allow the glue to completely dry before assembly.

I don't understand how gluing parts will eliminate one of the options for changing the refill. The top should still unscrew as well as the tip. The top should also be removeable but I find unscrewing the top to be easier than pulling it off. Unscrewing the tip seems to be the easiest way.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

I don't glue my cigar pen parts together, but here of late, I've noticed that the quality of the parts seems to be less then int he past... I've had trouble with the transmissions sticking and not turning on a few of the last half dozen or so I've made.

I like the cigar pen and make quite a few of them.... I think they show off the woods better than slims or Euros...

broitblat

I've had some kits that seemed to fit more loosely into the tubes than others, and those I've glued. The rest I generally don't glue in.

-Barry

I have had all sorts of issues with cigar pens lately I never had 4 years ago. Transmissions gritty, parts not fitting ctacking tubes, having to grind and dremal to get kits to fit, I can go on and on. Seems the kits are getting worse Find a kit that works and stick with that supplier.

randyrls

Here is my couple of questions regarding this kit or it can actually apply to all kits. Do you glue your parts in the tube with either CA glue or locktite??? Do you glue the cigar kit parts in???

Yep; I also apply locktite (removable) to the transmission threads. This keeps the tranny from unscrewing on double twist transmissions.

Second question how do you instruct the customer to replace the insert when need be???

I tell and show the customer how to unscrew the nib end of the pen to change the ink cartridge.

jttheclockman

Yep; I also apply locktite (removable) to the transmission threads. This keeps the tranny from unscrewing on double twist transmissions.

I tell and show the customer how to unscrew the nib end of the pen to change the ink cartridge.

Thanks Randy, you were the only one whos answered both questions. I think that is what I am going to start doing. I can't trust some of these kits any more. Hate to have a customer come back to me after they bought a $100 pen and have things coming apart. Looks embarrasing

Top Bottom