Cigar Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

GregD

For thoes of you that make the Cigar pen, I have a question. I've made 3 of 5 kits that I recently recieved. Of the 3 done only 1 will turn to open and close properly. I've checked for burrs and checked for size and length. I just don't know what else to check. Is it just me or is anyone else having problems?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Greg,

I make it fairly frequently. It is, like all of the Parker type pens, finicky as to length. Other than that, I have not had any problems. BTW, I use Berea kits I get from BearToothWoods. Accordingly, I cannot speak for other other suppliers' kits.

alamocdc

Greg, I can only talk to the Berea. I've turned about 8 of these and thus far only had one that has been "stiff". It would still turn, but it was relatively difficult and you could feel it "dragging" as if it were binding somewhere. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that the tube that engages the twist mechanism in the upper barrel was cocked. It just wasn't sitting square in the barrel. I dissasembled the barrel and checked and rechecked the square of the barrel. It was fine but when I put it back together I still had the same problem. I wound up taking it back apart and putting a piece of thin plastic (from a fake credit card you get in the mail) about 1/4 x 1/2 inches (running long ways) between the barrel tube and the tube that engages the twist mechanism where it was cocked. I made sure the tubes were parallel after the mod and it worked fine. I hope this made sense.

Ligget

I had the same problem with cigars.

But it hasn`t happened to me since I began to make sure that not a spot of glue (not even glue residue after trimming) was visable inside the brass tubes before assembling kit.

This may or may not be the reason that yours are difficult to turn, I just know it helped me!

Hope this helps some, but a second opinion is VERY advisable! LOL [:D]

lkorn

I aslo use the Berea kit. Try 'pulling' the upper barrel off of the pen and turning the transmission without it. It should push the nib into writing position after rotating both CW and CCW. If it works this way, but not with the upper barrel in place, you have a fit problem. If it seems to work but doesn't protrude the nib, The lower barrel mys be too long.

More details is necessary for troubleshooting here.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Larry has the optimum approach.

You may also find that the refill is hitting the nib (I experience this on maybe 10% of the kits). A small round file can be inserted up the gold nib and GENTLY draw toward you to take any irregularities off the inside of the nib.

Aggessive action can result in scratched (read garbage) nib.

Good Luck!![:D][:D]

I've done maybe a dozen or so and only had a problem with one of the first. I think it must have been glue or a burr in the upper tube. After cleaning it well the problem disappeared. Now I run a brass gun bore cleaning brush through all the tubes after deburring them no matter what kit it is. As those before have said watch the length of the tubes when squaring them. I also try the tranny before putting the top barrel on.
For assembly I press in the CB and then align the top barrel (grain match) and hold it in place with some tape (the good magic mending tape doesn't leave glue on the finish[:)]) so it doesn't move. Then press the clip bushing in CAREFULLY making sure it doesn't jam against the transmission. Haven't had any problems yet.[;)]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I have had one bad transmission in all I have done.
That ratio whatever it is seems excellent.
I would suspect Coaches diagnososis first, using the black sleeve it would seem hard to understand how glue could get that far up the tube but anythng is possible.
Though all others(especiallY eds) could be the culprit.

mick

Greg, I probably do more Cigar pens than anything else and other than an occasional faulty transmission the only time I've had a problem it was a badly trimmed barrel and yes it did result in a very stiff action. I took the pen apart and re-trimmed the barrels and it worked fine

GregD

Thanks for all of your suggestions. At least now I have some new things to check out. I would say there is a fit problem in the top barrel from what I've read here. The transmissions work fine with out the top barrel in place.

Tangboy5000

The only problem I ever had with cigar pen kits, were the ones from WoodCraft and Rockler. The brass wasn't long enough so when the pen was in the retracted position the knib would still be sticking out. I ended up making the upper and lower barrels the same length as the upper barrel tube and now it's fine.

GregD

I took apart the three pens that were not working right. Reassembled them paying close attention to the brass tube in the upper barrel. All three pens now work great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom