Cigar Pen won't work after assembly.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grizzlyss

Hi All,

I just finsihed assembling a Black Titanium cigar pen on some very curly Maple but the transmission will not work right now. I tested it before final assembly and it was fine, I did notice though that the brass tube that goes on the clip bushing was very loose. Well now the problem is (I am pretty sure) that the tube just slid over the transmission, but because it was very loose on the clip bushing that it just turns freely without actually working the transmission. I took the back end apart, and yes that brass tube was now off of the clip bushing. Is that brass tube supposed to be attached to the clip bushing, or not? If so then a drop of CA should fix it right up, or is there something else at work here? Just want to make sure before I screw thing up even more. LOL. Thanks for all your help.

Sheldon

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ron Mc

At the clip end you should have three pieces. The pieces that pushes into the tube with male threads that the clip goes on before the upper cap screws on. Do you have all of these inserted properly and you are saying you can pull the whole assembly out very easily?

Rmartin

If I understand you correctly; No, the piece which is pressed into the cap blank from the top does not touch the sides of the brass tube. Only the very top part with the threads comes into contact with the brass tube.

When you pull the blank apart, does the trans work turning by hand?
Do the two halves slip together very easily?

You can try to add some perforations to the trans to give it a tighter fit. Or, I have heard of some using a Q-tip with a little epoxy swabbed inside the upper part where the trans would go. Just make sure you let the glue dry completely before pressing the halves together, or it may become permanent, which really wouldn't be sooo bad because the pen should be unscrewed rather than pulled apart when changing the refill.

Rmartin

Randy_

I'm not sure that I fully understand the problem; but if you decide to us CA, be very careful where and how you apply it as it can mess up your hardware plating and the finish on your wood. Leave the cap off of the pen for several days and "DO NOT' store it in any sort of closed container. The fumes that are released by the CA can really mess up a pen if you are not careful.

Sheldon, I believe you're saying that the brass tube which is part of the clip bushing doesn't stay attached to the bushing...is that correct? If so, then that is your problem. That tube HAS TO BE a portion of the clip bushing assembly. If its loose, then it would turn whenever the xmission turns, thus not doing its job at all. CA might remedy the problem, but I'd roughen the tube a little first, and make sure everything is clean and oil-free prior to reassembly. Otherwise, it will fail again down the road. Good luck!

Grizzlyss

Thanks Shannon,
That is exactly the problem I am having, that brass tube that is part of the clip assembly and attached to the clip bushing came right off, and like was said this allows the transmission to turn freely. I will clean out the inside of the brass tube and the clip bushing, then I'll CA glue then together. I kind of figured that was the problem, but was unsure. Thank you everyone for your words of wisdom, I will endevour to better explain myself in the future if I ever have problems again. I know me have problems? That's sort of like a skunk having an odour problem. LOL. Well maybe the skunk doesn't have a problem with it but others sure do.

Sheldon

Grizzlyss

Success at last. I clean out both the Clip bushing and the Brass tube by sanding lightly first to roughen it up, then cleaned it with 99% Alcohol. Then I applied a drop of CA, gave the brass tube a quick twist to spread the CA all the way around. Then let it sit for 5 minutes. Reassembled and voila, it works perfectly. Just thought I would let everyone know, incase they ever have the same problem.

Sheldon

Grizzlyss

It was one from Wood n whimpsies. Good kit at a great price. I checked all my other kits from them (30+) and wouldn't you know it, I grabbed the only bad one. I will still buy my kits from them, even if this happens more often, very easy and quick fix (1 minute including glue application), and the pen works great now.

Sheldon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom