Cigar Pen question?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

sandking

I've made about 12 cigar pens so far and have a question. I don't like the top of the bottom section. I use a micrometer when turning the pen to measure each piece and get the ends of the black with a coupld of thousandths. The part I can't seem to like very much is the top of the bottom b/c the pen blank is square, but that center piece is round so it doesn't look smooth.

Am I doing this wrong or is that just the way it is. It seems like I should take a skew and round over the top of bottom blank and it would look better.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Could you post a picture of one of your cigars.
I am having trouble picturing what you are trying to explain.
When you put the bushngs on the mandrel they go in this order:
From the nib to the finial.(either direction)
smallest NIb end
second biggest
Biggest
second smallest.Finial end
There should be no need to"round over" the edges for a flush fit unless
1. to have sanded down the bushings, but that is tough to do in 12 pens un;ess you gave up on the turning tool.
2.You have the bushings in the wrong order.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The material DOES show at the junction, as you describe. You can get a more finished look by rolling the skew point to bevel.

Suggest sharp, 1/2" skew with standard profile.

sandking

Eagle bushings are fine. i don't have any gaps or anything. It just seems like because the top insert on the bottom blank is rounded over and the end of the blanks is square, it should meet the insert almost like a bead would.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by sandking
<br />OK Ed, at least I know I'm not crazy. So what you do is roll it slightly? How do you know how deep to go?

You are about to be subjected to the answer I use at the craft shows: "Just a little practice and it comes naturally - about 100 pens from now, it will be NO PROBLEM!!"

Seriously, however, does NOT take much. Any bevel will eliminate the light hitting that blunt edge and "showing off" the bare end.

It's not hard to DO, just remembering to do it is a challenge.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
If you don't mind a little more work, you can take the blank off the mandrel, then use either a chamfering tool, like the one available at Arizonoa Silhouette, or sandpaper to round the edge just a bit.

arioux

Hi,

After i hit the 400 grit, i take the blank off the mandrel, replace the bushing with a smaller one that i turned out of delrin and hit the side of the barrel with the sandpaper each following grit. Usually make a nice smooth side (i'm not that skilled yet to use any form of chissel [:I].

Alfred

sandking

I was thinking tonight about making a smaller diameter bushing out of corian so that I chisel doesn't grab the edge. Thanks everyone.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by arioux
<br />Hi,

After i hit the 400 grit, i take the blank off the mandrel, replace the bushing with a smaller one that i turned out of delrin and hit the side of the barrel with the sandpaper each following grit. Usually make a nice smooth side (i'm not that skilled yet to use any form of chissel [:I].

Alfred

I LIKE this answer!!! Will use it in my classes, Thanks!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom