Cigar pen question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sabaharr

I am making a Cigar pen out of some rare material. I know that the length of the bottom section is critical due to the operation of the mechanism but how critical is the length of the top end? I am asking because when I went to glue the tube in the top end it stopped about 1/8th inch short of going all the way in and the CA set instantly. It would not budge either way. So my blank is 1/8th short on the top barrel. Can I get away with this?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

seamus7227

More than likely on the upper barrel you will be ok. Its the lower barrel i would be more concerned about it happening on. Also, for what its worth, you can prevent that from happening by using 5 minute epoxy to glue your tubes in with.

you can get a tube that is the same diameter as the one which stopped before reaching it's end and come in from the opposite direction inserting the new tube until it contacts the stuck tube then cut off the excess from each end. this should keep you from discarding the blank.

I read this approach somewhere but have never tried it.

good luck

Sabaharr

I finally got both pieces turned down after having to sharpen my gouge over 20 times. I still left it fatter than I wanted to. Then came assembly and after pushing in the center accent band I fitted the top barrel on the lower assembly with the transmission installed. I had about 1/32" to spare. So I popped on the clip and gave that special pen to my boss who is retiring after 35 years. Now he can take a souvineer of outer space with him.

cwolfs69

okay,
you mentioned a souvenir from outer space. you may not stop there, we need more explanation and a picture if possible. that is just too rare to not explain!!!!

Sabaharr

I was wondering if anyone would catch that. Actually I work at a facility that manufactures satellites for commercial and military applications. I am always at one NASA facility or another and have worked on the space shuttle tanks, engines and the spacecraft itself many times and well as a few other interesting unmentionable projects. In doing so I have picked up a few discarded things along the way over the years. As for the object of interest there is a material that certain parts of a satellite are machined out of that is designed to withstand the extreme temperature changes and radiation bombardment of space when mounted on the outside of the craft. I picled up some scraps from the waste bin many years ago from the machine shop while I was there doing some inspections. This stuff is HARD. Even though I have plenty I will not attempt to make another pen with it. It polishes up to a shiny black though. I thought about pictures AFTER I gave it to my outgoing boss, so sorry, no pics. It did look great on a Ti Black Cigar. I guarantee there is not another pen like that anywhere in the world. They stopped using that stuff because it was so hard to machine. I have the last scraps in existance.

cwolfs69

interesting. back in the day i actually worked on many items for the space shuttles etc on one of my part time jobs in a local machine shop here in portsmouth, va. i only know one af the particular parts and that was the long boom arm they use. we had one of those sections chucked up in our longest lathe and, wow was that unique. many of the rest i just kn were for the shuttle and had no idea where they went. NASA is local here over in hampton and they used this shop many times.

Top Bottom