Cigar Pen Problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dgelnett

I have noticed on several of my cigar pens a very small space between the center band and the twist holder where the two halves come together. First thought that maybe I trimmed a little to much off when I squared the blank ends but made sure that did not happen and still there was a small space.
Also tried keeping the clip bushing a little proud, think it was pushed in to far but that did not fix it.
So what am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dgelnett

I don't think I can take a clear enough picture to show the space. If I hold the pen up to the light I can see light coming through where the two come together in the middle. Maybe if my eyes were bad I would not see it.

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I have noticed on several of my cigar pens a very small space between the center band and the twist holder where the two halves come together. First thought that maybe I trimmed a little to much off when I squared the blank ends but made sure that did not happen and still there was a small space.
Also tried keeping the clip bushing a little proud, think it was pushed in to far but that did not fix it.
So what am I doing wrong?

Thanks
Hi Dave; That tells me your clip end is a tad too short!

dgelnett

Took this picture. If you look at the top middle of the pen you can see white. I can slip one sheet of paper in there but not two.
So if my clip end is a tad to short does that mean I should not square the end of the blank all the way down to the brass tube end?

Attachments

• Picture 087 (Medium).jpg
    Picture 087 (Medium).jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 209

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Took this picture. If you look at the top middle of the pen you can see white. I can slip one sheet of paper in there but not two.
So if my clip end is a tad to short does that mean I should not square the end of the blank all the way down to the brass tube end?
Hi Dave; By the look of your pic, it appears your blanks are not square to each other, or your threads are not mateing properly.

Have you tried pushing the coupler further into the clip end?

I screw the tranny coupler to the twist holder and then push that assembly into the clip bushing.

dgelnett

Ok I took the twist mechanism off and held the pen together and it looks good so I would think that the clip end is a tad short like you said Mark.
So is it safe to sand off a little of the top of the twist mechanism to make up that difference? looks like there is room to try it before it got to something important.
So does that mean I must of sanded to much on the end of the blank when squaring it up? That would mean to me the tolerance must be very close.I use a sander and just sand the end till it first hits the brass tube.

Akula

I think your not square, using the sander it's easy to remove some of the brass because it's so soft. A pen mill can even take off just a little brass if pushed to hard.

ghostrider

Hi Dave; By the look of your pic, it appears your blanks are not square to each other, or your threads are not mateing properly.

Have you tried pushing the coupler further into the clip end?

I screw the tranny coupler to the twist holder and then push that assembly into the clip bushing.
I had the problem (of the gap between the fittings) with one of my pens, and like he said I discovered that the clip end was too short. This was attributed to me deciding to use a different manufactures kit after I turned the barrels. Turns out that the center band on the second kit wasn't as thick as that of the first. If I forced it down to meet, it would push the cap and clip assembly out, leaving the gap up there. When I switched back to the first kit, the problem disappeared.

That said, I agree with what he said about it looking like they aren't true.

KenV

The cigar pen has a drop tube from the finial that engages the top of the transmission and provides the friction that holds the pen together.

Should you have a missed alignment of a bit in that tube, it could cause the top barrell to appear off and leave a gap. That said, the cigar in my hand as I write has some flex as I slide the transmission into that upper tube and should correct minor allignment issues.

Pop the top barrell fittings off and check the ends for square and the top of the tube for being clear. Make sure there is not an obvious problem with the tube from the finial that runs the transmission.

dgelnett

KenV I think you are correct about my problem, the space is between the twist holder and the center band. If I take the twist mechanism off and join the two parts it fits great. If I measure there should be plenty of room.

If the problem is a squaring issue then there would be a space between the blank and the twist holder or center band and that fit is good. The problem is between the two machined pen parts.

Sylvanite

There are (at least) two different possible causes for a cigar pen that won't push together all the way.
  1. Some brands of cigar kit have a long 8mm tube (the one that engages the transmission). If the tube pushes all the way over the end of the transmission and contacts the wider portion (that screws onto the center coupler), then it will prevent mating between barrels. It will also tend to bind up the mechanism, making it hard to turn. The solution here is to shorten that tube a little. You can easily take it down to 1 inch long without affecting operation. A disk sander works very well.
  2. If the transmission pushes all the way through the tube, contacting the finial coupler, then your upper barrel is just plain too short. If it's just a hair shy, such as yours, you could knock the finial coupler out of the tube, grind a smidgen off, and press it back together. You might want to apply some loctite to make sure it stays together in use.
I hope that helps,
Eric

Top Bottom