Cigar pen oops

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Masshardt

I've made this mistake more than once. :-(.

Cigar pen that I apparently trimmed the lower tube just a little too short.

The tip of the ink is barely exposed when retracted. If I hold it completely vertical an touch I to paper, I can write with it.

Now - and it this point we're talking about just for my personal use not a sale item, I've been looking at this thing trying to figure something out.

Here's what I'm wondering - does the transmission require the nubs on the top of the refill to advance and retract it or could I potentially trim just a tiny bit off the top of the refill to shorten it?

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
If you look at the coupling portion, the part that the transmission screws on to, there is a small gap between the shoulder and the end of the threads. If you can accurately cut a piece of 8mm tubing, you can slip it over the threads and it will act as a bushing and the end of the refill will now be completely inside.

Josh@csusa

You can trim a little off of the top of a parker refill in a twist pen to shorten it in cases like these. The twist mechanisms are a little more forgiving then the click mechanisms when it comes to the "teeth" on top of the blank. I'd sand the top just a little till its got the right length on it.

Carl Fisher

A little off topic, but on a click pen with this problem (personal use only, not for resale) you can actually pull the black plastic out of the end of the parker refill, shave down the metal tube of the refill a touch at a time and replace the black plastic so that the teeth are still in tact.

healeydays

The ink usually doesn't come to the end of the cross type cartridges so you should be able to take a little off. But when the next person tries to put in new ink...

ashaw

I would not take the black tip off. Normal they fill the empty space in the refill with nitrogen or argon which will not dry out the ink. Once air is exposed to the empty space the ink with dry up more quickly.

Carl Fisher

Talking about standard parker type refills, I find that a little hard to believe considering that the end is completely empty and the black plastic piece is only held on by two little dimple crimps. It's not sealed and just pulls out with a little wiggle.

As for the ink, it seems to be sealed into the lower section of the tube. It's not exposed at the top. Pull one apart and look for yourself.

ashaw

I know what you mean but when I have done this in the past I only got 1/2 the life out of a refill. I maybe I also damage the inner seal to. Now I just make the adjustment to the outside of the pen so that I do not have to play with the refill.

Carl Fisher

Tis also why I specified personal use only for that mod. I'd never sell a pen with a modified refill because the customer wouldn't be able to go replace it on their own.

For the cirgar pen in question by the OP, the best fix is to make a new trim washer that spaces the tip out a touch. I think there is a library article on just that fix.

toddlajoie

Major DAMHIKT here, but if you run a drill bit up into the transmission, you can take a little off the plastic plunger in there an not need to modify every refill you ever use in the pen...

I wouldn't suggest this for any more than about 1/8 of an inch...

Dan Masshardt

Major DAMHIKT here, but if you run a drill bit up into the transmission, you can take a little off the plastic plunger in there an not need to modify every refill you ever use in the pen...

I wouldn't suggest this for any more than about 1/8 of an inch...

Another interesting idea.

JohnU

I've been there done that. Not a big deal. Like Monty said, I've cut an 8mm tube as a spacer and fit it on the threads before screwing on the transmission. I raises the transmission allowing for the ink to sit higher and you never have to alter any ink replacements. Works perfect and as long as you unscrew the tip to replace ink, you won't forget about it and lose it. Don't ask me how I know that. LOL!

Last edited:
Top Bottom