Cigar pen not fitting tight....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

les-smith

I just finished my first cigar pen. I'm very pleased with it. I'd like ya'll to know that because of the help of everyone here (past and present)I'm starting to finish the pens with really good results. I'm very pleased with the cigar pen, but it apears to me not to fit tight/flush at the center bands. The lower barrels gold center band and the upper barrels plastic center band seem to be about 1/32 to 1/64 seperated when the pen is pushed together. I bought the kit at Woodcraft. Am I just being picky or did I do something wrong? Can it be fixed in a way that will allow the two barrels to fit just a bit tighter? Thanks for your time. Les.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skye

I can only guess that there's a little CA stuck somewhere. It's a metal to metal fit so it should be flush.

Also, that black part of the kit should be a black painted metal part. You may need to check the paint on the black part where it hits the gold centeband. It may just be a little paint built up.

les-smith

I don't have a digital camera so I can't send any photos. Maybe after I sell some of these pens I'll buy one so I can be up to speed with you guys. The more I look at the pen the more I think I may be just to picky. I'll look at the connection and see if something isn't in the way. Thanks for the replys.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Possibly you trimmed the upper tube too well when facing it. DAMHIKT

Can be "fixed" by adding an "opps" ring above centerband or at clip. Requires re-turning. IF you can find a small washer that is gold to insert beneath clip, that should work too - but I could not find such a beast.

Just so happened, I needed to go past my shop (10 miles), so I checked the offending pen. A washer under the clip won't work, unless it has a hole that is roughly 25/64, to raise the mechanism a bit. "oops" ring in center would still be my choice.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I just looked at a cigar pen I have and came up with a question and teo,(Not one but Two possible solutions/answers.fixes)
The question is did you remember to put the gold "trim piece" on the big honker piece of powder coated brass that goes in the bottom of the upper tube?
If you didn't then that would explain a gap at that joint.
If you didbut still have a gap then that would be the point to add the opps ring.
If you did mill the upper section too short all is not lost(Ed I am surprised you haven't figured this out seeing how many cigar pens you turn[;)])
Dismatle the top section.You will need a punch that will "angle in from the center band end and hit the "stud finial" out.
It is a littler tricky but can be done(DAMHIKT).
REMOVE ANY jewlery you have on the hand that you are using to hold the pen barrle.(another DAMHIKT).
Once you get that piece out, lay all the components out like they go together and determine how much of the brass tube on the end of the piece that the finial screws on to you will have to remove.The transmission slides up into it but you don't need all that is there.
If you burr the inside edges make sure to clean them up.
The big black piece only serves as a guide for the transmission.I doubt seriously that piece and the transmission finial are bottoming out but you could check that.

Skye

Here?

space.jpg

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Hey, Skye

NICE FIT on that cigar top!

You may want to consider putting a slight bevel on the lower joint, so it looks better matching up to the rounded band.

But, I sincerely mean, "Nice work!!!"[:)]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Eagle,

I find it is not necessary to learn how to FIX them, if you make them RIGHT the first time. And, when I mill off brass, I now know not to assemble until I compare it to one that works.

I do like your solution, but I am always leery of altering parts. Sounds like it will work, tho'!![:D][:D]

Skye

Thanks man, yeah that lower barrel is a tinge underturned and rounding it would be a great idea. How do you round the edge when it's slap against the bushing? [?]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Then, fine sandpaper to make it "look pretty" (especially on plastics)

Finally, when buffing to shine, hit it a little hard with the edge of the tripoli wheel-it's BEAUTIFUL!!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by Skye
<br />Here?

space.jpg
____________________________________________ ABOVE ! here!

Actually, what Eagle is referring to, is the joint inside the upper tube (I believe) where the transmission (sticking out of the barrel end) hits the finial tube, coming in from the finial end. He is suggesting that you take some off of the finial tube (Again, I don't see a problem, but it's against my religion.)

Correct me if I misunderstood, Eagle.[;)][;)]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I just looked at a set of cigar components.(My previous post was from memory after modifying a couple)
You didn't say if the nib retracts o.k., you didn't use the wrong tubes for upper an lower, did you?
There is a little room for error in the length of the top, but you really have to be off somewhere to have a gap that shows.
It may be a combination of a couple of things.
Give me your address and I'll send you the money for a throw away camera (you have to pay to have them processed[:D])

les-smith

OK, ya'll have done it now. You've forced me to ask the mother-in-law to borrow her digital camera.[:p] The black center band on this kit is plastic though, not brass. I wonder if that might have something to do with it.

Randy_

Originally posted by les-smith
<br />.....The black center band on this kit is plastic though, not brass.....

Whose kit is it?? All of the black centerbands that I have ever seen on cigar pens are painted brass. I doubt that yours is plastic; but anything is possible. Maybe your pen company has changed materiale to save a buck??

As to being picky, if you can see a gap, then it is too much. That joint should be perfectly flush.

reef12

Not to rehash this but could be seasonal changes in wood and Brass.

Have had the same problem pushing the upper piece that holds the Clip in a little higher allows the Center band to close more so not flush at the top onpush in piece make sense??

Works and I have a lot on here with a small gap[8)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom