Cigar Pen Kits What is the difference?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Talltim

I have an order for 18 cigar pens black titanium

exotic blanks has two

The berea for 11.95 and the Dayacom for 7.95. Craftusa has their artisan for 7.06. The all look pretty much the same.

Got a few of the artisan versions in the last Craft usa group buy. They look good. Is there a reason to consider one for 5.00 more. Quality?

The prices are quoted at the discount for quantities.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I've wondered this same thing. I've turned mostly Woodcraft Cigar Pens, but I'm curious if there are any differences from the ones you buy on Craft Supplies and PSI. To my, knowledge, you can use the same bushings on all. I've turned slimlines from Craft Supplies using bushings from Woodcraft. Slimlines seem to have more variedness between those three places. But I've seen Cigar pens named premier and artisan. I wouldn't think that the cheaper ones are less quality.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
When we did shows (1995-2010), I sold thousands of cigar pens.

One year I purchased cigars that were from China. Using my normal assembly process, I would insert the nib first, then the threaded center coupler. For the first time ever, I had to be careful--the nib could easily be "crimped" (bent) while assembling. Clearly the nib was NOT the same quality as I had been using from CSUSA and Berea.

Plating is more difficult to judge, but there are differences in durability. So, no, all cigar pens are not created equal.

Talltim

You always get what you pay for.

Les

As a general rule you are right.

I wish that statement was Always true. I have at times been misled as to what I paid for.

There is often a value point where increased expenditure is not justified by the return.

Last edited:
hey guys, I am a tech at Craft supplies. There is some slight differences in these pens. Ours use a 25/64 drill bit, others tend to use a 10mm drill. They are very close but when you glue in the tubes you can tell the difference. They main differences in all of these pens will be the quality of the components used. Some have a low quality ink refill or twist mechanism. The bushing also change depending on the manufacture, slight differences but noticeable when you turn using different brand bushings and pens.

KenV

You always get what you pay for.

Les

As a general rule you are right.

I wish that statement was Always true. I have at times been misled as to what I paid for.

There is often a value point where increased expenditure is not justified by the return.

One of the factors is risk, another is recourse. Someone can always make things cheaper, so it depends on what is important to you. Reputation has value both yours for the finished product and the vendors for what they sell.

Top Bottom