Cigar Pen Hard to Twist

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wfsteadman

Folks,
I turned a cigar pen from woodturningz and when I put it together It is very hard to twist the ink in and out. Is there something I can check? New to turning and this is my first major obstacle. Was going to try to take the pen apart and see what I could do, but figured it would be best to ask first.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Take the top half off. Twist the transmission. Does it work, correctly?
If yes, the problem is your top has glue in the tube and is binding on the transmission coupler. Clean the tube. (occurs about 90% of the time)

If no, the problem is your transmission or some part of the refill, spring combination.

Take off the transmission and try to push the refill in and out manually. Does it get hung up? If yes, the problem is the nose of the pen, ream it out. If no, the problem is probably a faulty transmission (VERY rare, but can happen).

If none of this works, you are a really Unlucky person!!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

magpens

My first step would be to pull off the top portion and then try twisting the transmission with my fingers.

If the mechanism is still stiff, I would unscrew the transmission and try it by itself.

If the transmission by itself is really stiff, the transmission is faulty. You can buy replacement Cigar transmissions from ExoticBlanks.

But if the transmission by itself is not stiff, I would say there is a problem with alignment of the two barrels (with the refill possibly binding on the brass tubes).

Edit: (Ed and I were obviously writing at the same time :) )

Last edited:

wfsteadman

I got it fixed. I had to disassemble the pen an use another kit to put it back together. Was not able to find out what the issue was because in dis assembly I messed up a few of the parts. Thanks for all the advice.

SteveG

I got it fixed. I had to disassemble the pen an use another kit to put it back together. Was not able to find out what the issue was because in dis assembly I messed up a few of the parts. Thanks for all the advice.

It may be worth your time to go back to the reject parts to try to determine the cause of the problem. That way, if operator error, you can learn and avoid for the next time! :):)

More4dan

I've had similar a problem with Majestic Squires. My fix was to remove the transmission and take a long taper reamer and sooty out the place the transmission threads into the pen. After a couple twists of the reamer by hand, smooth as butter.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Top Bottom