Cigar pen fix

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

vbatwork

Hi All,
I managed to chip off the very edge of the long barrel on a Thuya Burl cigar pen. Is there any technique to build this up to a nice square corner again after disassembling the pen? In the future I'll re-enforce the ends with CA before turning. I've read where others do that as standard practice to help hold things together.

Thanks!

2006215171240_thuya%20burl%20cigar.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fangar

I can't really tell for sure from your photo, but my guess would be to kiss the tube with a pen mill and bring the wood back down to level. You need to make sure that you have enough length to fiddle with and to allow the parker refill to function properly. If not, you could certainly fill it with a CA and dust slurry. On the lathe, drizzle on some CA and sand with 240 - 400 grit paper with the lathe slowly running. Once you have it back to a larger than level spot, let it dry thouroughly and sand back down.

Fangar

stilgar

Be very careful with this, I chipped out one of my cigar pens and used a pen mill to re-true the end. Because the pen mill also chiped, I ended cutting off more then I wanted. But that gave me the chance to create my own center band to match!

There are never any mistakes, just more opportunities for creative development.[}:)]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
This is where the term "oops ring" originated.

Insert a piece of contrasting wood or plastic above the centerband, after turning the broken piece down to the tube (for 3/16" or so).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom