cigar pen end mill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodstump

I'm making a set of 20 cigar pens and find that the 10mm pen mill that is suggested in the instructions is not a very good choice. it fits very loosely into the cigar pen tube, thus not guarenteeing a 90 deg end mill. What do you expirienced turners do for cigar pens?

Don

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wicook

I've never had a fit problem with these sets, but for a quick and dirty solution, you could wrap some tape around the shank to fit (one wrap near the mill, another closer to the tip). For a more permanent solution, drill a hole the size of the shaft on your mill into a hardwood blank, then turn it to fit the brass tube.

KKingery

I've done it both ways - using the tape as a quick remedy - and have also recently taken a 7mm tube, and turned down a piece of Teak to fit the cigar tubes - it really works much better.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
The mill in the set from PSI is a good fit.
The previous suggestion is a good one.
Another one would be to turn a slim line into a long bushing for the pen you want.
The concept is the same but you'll have the brass tube inside.

Pen Man

I belive pen Craft supply sells this item,but not for all the big pen kits. I went to my local machine shop and had them make me one to fit, it was about <u><u><b>$20.00 </b></u></u>to do that. I have now had them make me one for a bunch of pen kits all the way up to The El Grande.[:)]

jkirkb94

I've not had a problem with fit with my 10mm, Don. I also use it to mill down larger diameter tubes using a drill press and holding the blank firmly without major problems getting a 90 degree. Kirk[8D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom