Cigar Pen Bushings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

bburnham

Hi,
I tried my first Cigar Style kit today. Purchased it from Woodcraft along with the bushings. After turning, and before assembly, I noticed some difference. I looked up the bushings on their web site and it looks like there are 2 different ones. It looks like there is a set of 3 with the center one a step bushing, as well as another set that has 4 businings, (which is the ones I bought). Has anyone had a problem like this?[?]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mick

Barb, They sell both. The 4 piece ones for some reason are called Premium Bushings....they are the same sizes as the 3 piece ones. I've used both

Tanner

Check out this post I started. http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=25046&SearchTerms=cigar There are two different sizes. The size of the upper barrel in the bushings that are 4 separated is .530. The size for the upper barrel in the single piece step bushing which comes in a 3 piece bushing set is .511. I only use the .511 as it looks better next to the rounded twist holder. If you use the .530 bushing there will be a gap near the top edge where the twist holder is rounded. I may take a pictuer of this and show what it looks like useing the different bushings.

Tanner

OK, here is a picture of a Cigar pen using the .530 bushing for the top of the lower barrel. It comes in a 4 piece bushing set.

2007724715_Cigar%20.530.jpg
<br />

Here is a picture of a Cigar pen using the .511 bushing for the top of the lower barrel. It comes in a three piece bushing set. The middle two bushings are a one piece step bushing.

2007724913_Cigar%20.511.jpg
<br />

I prefer the .511 bushing.

mdburn_em

Tim,
I guess I missed your other post about the Cigar bushings. Have you found that you are able to use any suppliers cigar kit with the .511 bushing? I have AS kits but definitely need to get the .511 bushings if they will work. Not only that but 3 pieces means one less bushing I can put in the wrong place.[:I]
Thanks Barb and Tim for bringing this up. I just thought that's the way it was supposed to be. [B)]

Tanner

Yeah, as far as what I have seen, all Cigar kits have the same size twist holder. I can't for the life of me see why they even sell the .530 bushing. I pretty much only buy the cigar kits from AS. He has a great selection and gets it out super fast. He does not carry the .511 bushing though. You have to get that from Woodcraft or others.

bburnham

Thanks for all your help. I got out my digital calipers and measured all the appropriate locations and found that all 4 bushings were a different size but they did coordinate with the kit. Came out great. I will post a pix asap.[:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom