Cigar pen bushes question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Darley

Well last Sunday I did my first cigar pen, unfortunatly I mix up the bushers [xx(] I find out when assembling the pen as allway it happen, so I took my digital caliper and take the size of the bushers and what I got is 4 different size, Ho my goodness [:0].

size are in " 0.459 - 0.479 - 0.530 - 0.576 , guest what, I put the 2 small one on the bottom barrel and the two large one on the top barrel, now I download the instruction from PSI site and got nothing than a drawing of the pen .

I think I figure out but would like your opinion.

For the top barrel I would use the bushing at 0.530 for the finial and the 0.576 for the CB.
Bottom barrel 0.479 bushing toward the CB and the 0.459 for the nib .

I'm correct or not, help would be appreciated.

PS will post photo later and BTW it was my first stone inlay to on the pen.

You see Murphy is not allway in the States :D:D

Serge

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I remember it this way.
from the nib to the top
smallest
second largest
largest
second smallest
Feel free to convert to numbers.

dmadis

Posted - Feb 28 2005 : 06:58:19 AM US Eastern Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I remember it this way.
from the nib to the top
smallest
second largest
largest
second smallest
That's right. Starting from the nib end (longer tube) on the left, the smallest bushing goes on the left and the second smallest on the far right (clip end). Then in the center the 2 larger bushings step from smaller to largest on the right. Like this crude drawing.

2005228144018_bushings.jpg
<br />
Hope this helps.

coach

I ordered some cigar kits from woodturningz. Do they not come with instructions? I should receive them today. I looked on the berea site. (that is the brand they sell if i'm not mistaken) Could not find a place to download instructions.

dougle40

I've gotten into the habit of measuring all the components first then matching the bushings up to those measurements . There are some kits where the difference between one end and the other is so small that the eye can't see them , so the measure wethod always works . Where there is a slight difference in bushing size , I mark then as to which end they go on with a scratch awl.

coach

I just got my kits in from Ryan. They look great! It isn't that hard to figure out the bushings. If you hold them end to end you can see which one is larger. It is pretty close, but easy to tell. I can't wait to turn one tonite after practice!!!!!!!!!!!!

its_virgil

serge,
I consider Woodcraft's instructions to be the best of what we have. They use 3 bushings instead of 4. Craft supplies uses 4 bushings also. I have made cigars from different suppliers and used someone else's bushing. The Woodcraft insturctions should help you greatly.
go to http://www.woodcraft.com and navigate to pen kits. The cigars are in the category of "other kits" or something similar.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by jwoodwright
<br />Serge,

0.459 Nib then 0.530....

Top: 0.576 then 0.479 clip

From Nib 0.459 -&gt;-&gt;-&gt; 0.530 -&gt;-&gt;-&gt; 0.576 -&gt;-&gt;-&gt; 0.479 Clip End

rtjw

I have turned craft usa cigars with woodcraft bushings. nothing different about them. Sorry craft USA, I had the woodcraft first. But I buy all my kits from you now, they are cheaper. Just wish Craft USA would get chrome cigars in.

RTJW

its_virgil

Coach,
Woodcraft sells berea kits..they are the same...WC's robesto is the CSUSA Havana and its wallstreet is one of their own. So I buy from berea or BB and get the same kits at a better price. WC has the cigar bushing for the 7mm mandrel but Berea's cigar bushings fit their larger mandrel. I think I've used everybody's bushings on everybody else's kits...at least the kits that all suppliers sell...euro, cigar, slimline, and americana.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by coach
<br />it's_virgil,

Have you turned Berea cigar kits with Woodcraft bushings? That could be valuable if I need bushings quick.

Randy_

Are my eyes going bad.....or does the written description not match up with the drawing in Darrel's post???? It looks like the second smallest bushing is labeled as being center rather than clip as called for in the written comment.

dmadis

Are my eyes going bad.....or does the written description not match up with the drawing in Darrel's post???? It looks like the second smallest bushing is labeled as being center rather than clip as called for in the written comment.
No, your eyes are OK. The drawing isn't in the proper proportion. The 2 smallest bushings go on the ends, left and right, stepping up in size as you go to the right. The 2 largest bushings go in the center, stepping up in size the same way. (Nib on the left for these bushing placements.)

Darley

Originally posted by jwoodwright
<br />Serge,

0.459 Nib then 0.530....

Top: 0.576 then 0.479 clip

From Nib 0.459 -&gt;-&gt;-&gt; 0.530 -&gt;-&gt;-&gt; 0.576 -&gt;-&gt;-&gt; 0.479 Clip End

Thanks John and all of you who answer to my question I realy apreciated for the pen here's the photo of the butchered pen with my first turquoise inlay . The wood is Hairy Oak.

200531125720_Cigare%20pen%20inlay2.jpg
<br />

Thanks for your comments

Serge

Linster

I mark my cigar pen bushings with a marker 1-4 before taking them off the mandrel. This way I know which order to them back on next time.

Someone also mentioned chrome cigar pen kits. Arizona Silhouette sells cigar kits in many different finishes. This is where I normally get mine. They turn on 7mm mandrel.

Linster

Darley

Thanks John it was funny to drill the groove in the barrel, I use a German mini drill very good and less 1/2 price of the dremel the beauty is that all the dremel tools fit the German drill, my initial idee was to do a strait line ( look like I did have a few bottles [:D] ) will try again the inlay process this week end after the Wedding pen

Serge

woodstump

Just an FYI, what I do is mark each set with different colors from a sharpie indelible pen. The set of bushings for the lower barrel are red, and the bushings for the upper barrel are green. The ink does ware off somewhat, but there is usually enough splatterings of ink on the bushings to instantly see how they match up and assemble quickly when mounting the mandrel to the lathe. I've not had a problem confusing my bushing since doing this.

Don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom