Cigar pen black enamel problems

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dave Turner

I recently made my first cigar pen (CSUSA kit with chrome trim) and after completing it, I noticed some "scratch" marks on the top region black enamel (see photo). They seem to go down to the underlying brass.

I didn't really check this part prior to assembly, so I'm not sure whether this was a defective part or whether this became scratched while making the pen. I don't recall any mistreatment of this part that would lead to this scratch.

My question is, have others noticed a tendency for scratches to appear on the black enamel bands of the cigar pens? Is this a weakness of the kit design or did I just get a rare defective piece? I'm a little leery of using this kit in the future right now. Should I be?

Thanks for your input.

Dave

Attachments

• Cigar pen.jpg
    Cigar pen.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 264
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Dave

I have never seen any problems with the whole cigar line and I think it is one of the best on the market because it is so versatile. If you know the company you bought from try to get a replacement. I would definetly not be worried about this line of kits.

aggromere

when I have had very small problems with anything that was black I just dab a little liquid black dye into the problem area with a qtip. depends on how deep the scratch is if it will work, but give it a try.

Tim'sTurnings

I had one cigar pen with a scratch on the lower portion. Bright brass showed through. I didn't see it until the pen was finished and I am positive I did not scratch it. I didn't want to disassemble it for a replacement so I used a black felt tip marker to cover the scratch. I don't know if the marker ink will last very long though. It was also from CSUSA.

I also have had two pens where the top hex nut came off after I pressed the pen together. They were a pain to repair.

Last edited:

Dave Turner

Thanks for the replies. So it sounds like people have not had problems with customer complaints about easy scratchability (new word!) of the black enamel on these cigar pens. In that case, I'll make a few more to include in my sales/gift collection.

Sylvanite

The black enamel coating on the centerband and finial is the "Achilles' Heel" of the cigar kit. It is easily scratched, and wears more quickly than any metal plating. I prefer the 2-tone versions, where the black enamel parts have been replaced with durable black chrome plating.

Regards,
Eric

Russianwolf

The black enamel coating on the centerband and finial is the "Achilles' Heel" of the cigar kit. It is easily scratched, and wears more quickly than any metal plating. I prefer the 2-tone versions, where the black enamel parts have been replaced with durable black chrome plating.

Regards,
Eric

ditto.... The black chrome isn't perfect either, but last much longer than the black enamel. I get to see regularly a Platinum Cigar that I made a couple years ago and the black enamel on the centerband is completely gone now. I have a daily writer that's a two-tone Platinum and the black chrome on the centerband is showing some wear after a year, but isn't anywhere near as bad as the black enamel was at the same point. Both pens are predominantly pocket riders.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I suspect you will see more of this type of problem in the next few years. The cigar has been produced as a mid-range kit. NOW, you can get parts for it, or the whole kit, from alternative manufacturers on mainland China. In my experience, their platings are far less dependable than we have encountered in the last few years from the "usual" suppliers.

Particularly, the black enamel, which I have seen flaking off of Chinese-produced parts. Only CSUSA knows who they are using to make their kit parts, but I have used a LOT of their cigar kits in previous years and never had a problem with plating (always used TiGold or Chrome).

Just realize that each "cigar kit" has a manufacturer. Even though they all LOOK the same, they are NOT all made in the same "factory" or plated equally.

In other words, don't damn the "cigar", but look for a source that is staying with their "tried and true" manufacturing processes.

Hope this helps--but I doubt it will.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Hmmmmm

I suspect you will see more of this type of problem in the next few years. The cigar has been produced as a mid-range kit. NOW, you can get parts for it, or the whole kit, from alternative manufacturers on mainland China. In my experience, their platings are far less dependable than we have encountered in the last few years from the "usual" suppliers.

Particularly, the black enamel, which I have seen flaking off of Chinese-produced parts. Only CSUSA knows who they are using to make their kit parts, but I have used a LOT of their cigar kits in previous years and never had a problem with plating (always used TiGold or Chrome).

Just realize that each "cigar kit" has a manufacturer. Even though they all LOOK the same, they are NOT all made in the same "factory" or plated equally.

In other words, don't damn the "cigar", but look for a source that is staying with their "tried and true" manufacturing processes.

I sell a lot of kits plated in China to a lot of customers who keep coming back, and I believe if this were a big problem I would get a lot of complaints....I don't.

IPD_Mrs

Here is another way to look at it. If you drop it, scratch it, in other words abuse it then yes you will have problems. I do not think that a manufacturer should have to warrant against misuse. Now if the plating wears off in a matter of weeks then we are talking another issue. The black enamel is not a an impenetrable coating.

So basically my answer is no, I have not had problems. Yes I have scratched and chipped the black enamel. No it did not matter, China or Taiwan, they both will scratch. $3.00 kit or $10.00 they will scratch.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager

I sell a lot of kits plated in China to a lot of customers who keep coming back, and I believe if this were a big problem I would get a lot of complaints....I don't.

You have been lucky! Or your customers accept a "failure" rate. Either way, I believe what you say, I have had a different experience.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
too many customers

You have been lucky! Or your customers accept a "failure" rate. Either way, I believe what you say, I have had a different experience.

This year I have had about 1000 shipments and about 350 new customers. That makes 65% of my sales going to repeat customers, I don't think they would keep coming back if they were getting severe plating problems. Perhaps your experience was awhile back and things hve improved.

Hess

I have done 150 of these in the last year and the only problem I have was by my own doing so I'm happy with them

Top Bottom