Cigar Pen assembly problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Efletche

I have made four cigar pens now and all four have a small gap between the upper and lower halves. For one pen, I actually sanded sown the internal parts, hoping this would correct the proble, but it has not. The gap is big enough to slide a piece of paper between the halves. is this normal? Any suggestions on how to correct this?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

A little more information. Whose kit? Where is the gap. Be specific. Could be a couple of reasons. Lower tube too short or the pen just needs to be pressed together a litle more. All four have gaps at the same place indicates they are all caused by the same problem. I had this problem awhile back and found out the gap was due to the pen top not being pressed together properly. I pressed a little more and wala it went togehter.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Efletche
<br />I have made four cigar pens now and all four have a small gap between the upper and lower halves. For one pen, I actually sanded sown the internal parts, hoping this would correct the proble, but it has not. The gap is big enough to slide a piece of paper between the halves. is this normal? Any suggestions on how to correct this?

smoky10

I recently had this problem also. I found that when I squared the top barrel I took to much of the tube off. It was too short after that. I did like you did, I ground the top of the filler down and ground the tube for the clip down and it didn't help. Just be careful when you square your tube. Tom

Efletche

The kits I believe are Berea. I purchased through Woodturningz.com The gap is between the center band and the coupling. I have tried making the upper barrel an eigth inch longer, but still have this gap. I even put the entire pen in my pen press and nothing.

its_virgil

Try pushing a little hearder with the pen press. The mechanism must press into the finial adapter so a little more pressure may be needed to engage the two parts. If you have an unassembled kit, take a look with the parts laid out. If you made the upper blank longer and the gap did not dissappear, then I think the mechanism and finial adapter are not engaged. I had this same problem. Press a little harder and see if it doesn't go in. Good luck. Maybe someone else has an answer.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
<br />The kits I believe are Berea. I purchased through Woodturningz.com The gap is between the center band and the coupling. I have tried making the upper barrel an eigth inch longer, but still have this gap. I even put the entire pen in my pen press and nothing.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Edward...rather than guess, can you post a pic. Maybe one of us can see a problem we've solved. [8D]
<br />The kits I believe are Berea. I purchased through Woodturningz.com The gap is between the center band and the coupling. I have tried making the upper barrel an eigth inch longer, but still have this gap. I even put the entire pen in my pen press and nothing.

WoodChucker

I just made 4 of the Cigar pens also(Berea)and had the same problem. It's a very small gap, you have to hold it up to the light to really see it. I just thought it was normal so I didn't worry about it. So I'll be watching this post to see if there's a fix also. But I sure like the Cigar pens.

R.T.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom