cigar pen assembly

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

aggromere

I don't have any pictures yet, but I made 10 cigar pens for a trade show this week. I did them kinda assembly line. Last night I rounded all the blanks, drilled on the lathe, glued the tubes and trued the ends and turned to approximate size with a gouge.

Tonight I finished them off with the skew, sandpaper, micromesh and novus 2 and assembled them. Although from different acrylics they are all the same shape and length. All of them extrude the point of the ballpoint a little too far either way you twist it. Also, the upper and lower barrels are just shy of a flush fit. Could probably fit a piece of paper between them.

Is there anyway to adjust the transmission or whatever on the pens to make the point not go out so far and make them come together flush or did I get 10 kits that where slightly off. Seems like I remember something about compressing the transmission, but that might do the opposite adjustment that I am looking for. Anyway I need some help.

Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

To add to the suggestions, did you use all the parts especially the little trim rings??? Theses will make a difference. Also did you use all the parts in the right places. Sometimes the instructions get a little confusing. Let us know what you found so others can learn.

aggromere

Longer blank is bottom tube, i used all the parts as directed. I didn't trim any length from the tubes. I will mess around with them today and see what I can do and report back.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Take a dremel with a grinding bit. Grind the INSIDE of the top (centerband) uniformly around the perimeter. This will take off a little and allow it to seat better on the shoulder of the transmission. The tranny shoulder is not allowing the top to come down far enough. If you force it, the pen will not open and close properly.

Try it. Sometimes it takes what seems like quite a bit of grinding.

Top Bottom