Cigar Modification(almost)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I could have waited to fix this and no one would have ever known, but I wanted to see how this blank would work and I wanted to try a Cigar modification.I had a 50-50 chance that either would screw up.
Well I screwed up,I added where I should have sibtracted.
the blank will be a possibilitiy in the future but not this one,Dyslexia set in while gluing up the pieces.
I give you
Walnut , maple, bone OOPS!

2005615182846_oops.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Eagle, I'm sorry, but you're going to have to stop. Put down the tools right now. You see, you're taking away all of OUR chances to be innovative! [:)]

Very cool idea, and that upper barrel is just stunning!

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Credit Cards?
Pastic and wood?
You know mw better than that!
Jim you'been been around for a couple of months, I should have done this one my second week of turning it's a snap!
(If you don't screw up!)

Scott

Hi Eagle,

Other than that little gap, how does the modification work? I like the idea of modifying Parker style pens, but have not had the time to try it.

Scott.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by woodscavenger
<br />How long is that pen? I really like the lamination. Do the cuts go throught the entire blank or are they partial thinkness cuts?
I could answer your queston about the length of the pen(and may do so eventually) but if you have a cigar kit, lay out the pieces(without "pressing them in") you will come to the conclusion as to the minimum and maximum lengths.(Hint, inspect all pieces inside and out if you do so you will have less chances of getting my "gap" I found out the reason for it and it had nothing to do with measureing)Find out what pieces are necessary and what pieces are "extraneous"In other words learn the "kit" inside and out and maybe you will use that excercise to look at other component sets and explore the possibilities of modifying them to get a real"custom looking pen"
As for the cuts they go all the way through.

airrat

just curious Eagle, how long does it take you to make a blank like the top one? Might be a silly question but do you cut the blank glue it back up and cut it again to get the 2nd one done?

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I usually try to have dimension luumber especially for experimentation.
Buying precut blanks is an expensive way to purchase them.
In the one pictured tough nice figure may be desireable it is better to have contrasting "bland" wood.
I don't "waste" figured wood on glue ups.
Even when I buy exotics I try to get dimension lumber and cut my own.
I don't remember how long it took.I winged it as I did it and did not time it.
I will let you know as I was just asked to make a presentaion pen and have decided to make one similar to the one I have pictures.This one will be the right length"I hope)

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by woodscavenger
<br />OK Eagle, you sound like my professors trying to get me to think about something. Come on....spoon feed me![;)]
Copy /print the picture, cut it up , go to the kitchen, open up the silver ware drawer...

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Copy/print the picture/cut it up in bite size pieces,go to the kitchen, openthe silver ware drawer...
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4475&SearchTerms=outside,the,box

Rifleman1776

It is definately a demonstration of innovative thinking, a high level of workmanship and experimentation. A bit of critcizm here. To me it looks like a demo of techniques. The final effect is not pleasing to my eye. Too busy and the abrupt change at the center band/nib area is awkward. My two pence worth, IMHO.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Frank--I think the "abrupt change at the center band" is the oopsss. I think I'm seeing brass tube where a blank was cut 1/4" short. Right or wrong, Eagle?

Also, while the design is "busy", I like the daring it takes to walk the edge--sometimes we stay on the safe times, sometimes we step over, but there's a thrill in seeing it walked so darned well. I like it!

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />Frank--I think the "abrupt change at the center band" is the oopsss. I think I'm seeing brass tube where a blank was cut 1/4" short. Right or wrong, Eagle?

Also, while the design is "busy", I like the daring it takes to walk the edge--sometimes we stay on the safe times, sometimes we step over, but there's a thrill in seeing it walked so darned well. I like it!

I think we said the same thing in differnet way. It boils down to what one is trying to accomplish.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I am sorry I didn't make it clear, my apologies Frank,
Lou is right.
This was a two fold experiment.
The blank was glued up a while back and I hadn't turned it so I didn't know what the "pattern" would be like.
I also had an idea about converting the cigar kit.
The brass tube that is showing is an attempt on my part to prove I screw up.( a mis calculation concerning a "hiiden joint"
Rather than just "fix"it and post the finished pen,I decided to "drop my drawers" and show my mistake lest anyone think I only make"perfect" or at least "decent pens"
This is how I started the post
"I could have waited to fix this and no one would have ever known, but I wanted to see how this blank would work and I wanted to try a Cigar modification."
As it is I found where the length problem came from, and I like the concept of the blank but the pattern got reversed at the top. To me it's pleasing but not salable because of that flaw.
I am working on another now for a presentation.,hopefully I can get it posted or at least a picture before it needs to be delivered Sunday,
Sorry for the confusion.

Thumbs

Sorry, I guess I just forgot myself! [:0] Please disregard what I said before and elsewhere.[:(!][V] I will not bother you further unless I think of something even more stupid or disingenuous to say!!![:p][:p][:p][}:)][:p][:p][:p]

<b>Fair Warning, right?*</b>
*<b>I guess we all know I have a hard time keeping my mouth shut! Don't challenge me on this, or I'll have to show ya![;)]</b>

Daniel

it is better to have contrasting "bland" wood.
I don't "waste" figured wood on glue ups.

Eagle, you touch on a whole other "Art" that can be explored in penturning. The development of being able to make any piece of wood a real eye catcher. Don't always wait for the wood to be showy. Plain wood combined in the right ways is a show of it's own.

As for this Question.
And the reasons for sending my pens to Provo would be?
The Pen Display at Provo was created specifically to show the Woodturning Community that Penturners think outside the box as much as any other Turner does. That they use techniques that are common to many other forms of turning. and they require as much skill and at times even more than other forms of woodturning. thus Developing Credibility for penturning in the turning world at large. Many of these points seem to me to fit right in to your recent comments about what you try and incourage in others. not all turners know about this group. not even all penturners. Participation in the Pen Display would expose a much larger audience to your ideas. Increasing the opportunities to spark that Hmmmm what if? in others.

Fangar

Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />Frank--I think the "abrupt change at the center band" is the oopsss. I think I'm seeing brass tube where a blank was cut 1/4" short. Right or wrong, Eagle?

Also, while the design is "busy", <b>I like the daring it takes to walk the edge--sometimes we stay on the safe times, sometimes we step over, but there's a thrill in seeing it walked so darned well.</b> I like it!

LOL. We are making pens here right? Not skydiving! [;)]

"Sometimes making pens is messy... but you get by, one blank at a time". [:D]

Cheers.

James

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom