Cigar disassembly?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

dubdrvrkev

I haven't seen any disassembly kits for Cigar pens, doesn't mean they aren't there, I just haven't seen them.
I would like to disassemble and refinish my cigar pen without damaging any of the components. So how do I go about this? I have the pen sold but I said I can't sell it the way it looks now. To me it has to look "right" before I can let anybody pay for it.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Kevin,

Purchase a few carriage bolts. Quarter inch, 5/16, 3/8, about 3 inches long. With the cigar pen, insert quarter inch thru lower barrel, it will hit the pen tip. HOld barrel firmly, hit carriage bolt with hammer. As pen tip is removed, be prepared for it to fly out (into a pillow or something). Use the next higher size to go thru that hole and remove center. Repeat process until all components are removed and "fetched".

After doing this a few times, you will be REALLY careful about inspecting BEFORE assembly.

Good luck and good turning

smoky10

I use a cheap set of drill bits to take pens apart. They come in 64ths up to about 1/2". Insert the shank into the pen and hit on the tip. Again, these are cheap bits of about $5.00 per box.

driften

The lower blank is easy to press the parts out of, but how do you do the cap with out damaging the transmission? You can't press out the top with the clip with it in the way and you can't press out the transmission. I would think you would need something that would screw into it and have some sort of gear puller setup to pull one of the parts out.

write-n-style

The search on this site is excellent!
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4556&SearchTerms=cigar,disassembly
If you pull the top section off you can unthread the tannsmission.I have highted as to how to get the transmission holder out.

dmadis

When didassembling the top barrel with the clip be careful of the little decorative hexagon on top. It will sometimes pop out.

dubdrvrkev

I figured on the top you would start by unscrewing it and removing the clip and cap. Then pull the barrel off the mechanism and unscrew the mech. It was the lower barrel that I thought would be harder.
Thanks for the info. everybody, I have a punch set that will take of of most of it... I hope.

driften

Originally posted by write-n-style
<br />The search on this site is excellent!
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4556&SearchTerms=cigar,disassembly
If you pull the top section off you can unthread the tannsmission.I have highted as to how to get the transmission holder out.

Yea I forgot on the Cigar pen the transmission is not pressed in that hard and the cap can be just pulled off it. I thought it was like the Double Twist Berea pens. On those the transmission is pressed into the part the finial screws into. You can not just pull it out on those. They would need some sort of puller for one end or the other of the cap parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom