Cigar Bushings Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

firewhatfire

Will this bushing set cross into any other pen sets or does Cigar pen kits go by different names by different sellers? Help a newbie out as he wades through this hobby.

Phil

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

A cigar pen is a cigar pen is a cigar pen. The bushings will not work on another (non cigar) kit, as far as I know. The only other name that I know about for the cigar pen is the Big Ben used by Penn State. Now they call it the Big Ben Cigar. Most bushing sets are kit specific and do not work for other kits. There are a few exceptions. But, instead of confusing you...I remember vividly once being where you are: new and somewhat confused. But, it will all make sense once you get a few more pens under your belt. Maybe looking over the Bushing and Tube Reference spreadsheet on the home page will help. I wish it had been available when I started.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Will this bushing set cross into any other pen sets or does Cigar pen kits go by different names by different sellers? Help a newbie out as he wades through this hobby.

Phil

dplloyd

I know Big Ben is another. There is a spreadsheet posted in the library that has several supplier pens and are kinda grouped together by style. Actually areally good tool to download. It has bushing sizes, tubes sizes etc.

toddlajoie

As far as I know, cigar pen bushings are their own animal. Seeing as how all 4 of the bushings have completely different measurements, the odds of another kit matching is pretty slim. The kit does have at least one different name, as PSI seems to switch between "Big Ben" and Cigar at random sometimes... (but keep in mind that there is also a cap/rollerball cigar that I think does still take the same bushings, but I have not made this kit at all so can't say for sure...) There are also both single twist, double twist, and click versions of the Cigar style, that I believe all use the same bushings.

firewhatfire

still trying to navigate this place looked for a chart like that before asking. WIll go back and try and find it. If the Big Ben with PSI works I will try one of those as I have the bushings already but the kits were more at WC.

Thanks for the info and helping confused folks like me.

Phil

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Cigar

Cigar bushings only work for that style which does include Ultra Cigar as well as Big Ben. PSI calls their bushings PK-BIGBU most everyone else designates them as Cigar.

KenV

Two points --

The bushings are in reality an approximation and the actual pen parts maybe (will likely be) a little different in size. Many will suggest you get a set or two of calipers and match the actual fittings.

There are a number of variations in the last year or two with cigar pens which will expand the use beyond straight kits -- the one piece long Cigar pen is one of those variants.

Lots of opportunity with that set of 4 bushings -

firewhatfire

I bought a package of tubes to try my hand at turning a fe before buying a kit and putting one together. I turned the first one which turned out to be one of my best turns yet.

Well I had my 2 bushings backwards in the center.

gonna try and sand it down and fix it if not I will find a new piece for the top and turn it.

preciate the help.

Phil

Top Bottom