Cigar bushings question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuck B

I bought the Woodcraft Premium Cigar pen & bushings. In the directions they say to mount te second smallest first for the nib end. my stupid question is both sets look exactly the same size. I don't have a Mic so I can't check it that way. am I missing something or just blind[:I][?]

Chuck

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

Hold them up to the parts, that should give you the lay out. I believe, all 4 bushings are slightly different. two smaller ones, two larger ones.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I just looked at the Woodcraft instructions to make sure I could lend you a hand.
There are 2 bushings that are close in diameter but one should be smaller than the otehr.
You said you don't have a mic, how about calipers?
Dividers?
An adjustable wrench
vice grips?
YOu don't need to know the actual measurement hyst be certain that one is maller than the otehr, that is for the nib.
Beib=ng contrary as I am I always put the nib bushing next to the headstock.
This is the order in which the go.(nib end from the headstock)
Smallest
LONG TUBE
second biggest
Biggest
SHORT TUBE
second smallest.
It is possible that they screwed up the bushings when packing.

Chuck B

Tony,
I held the smallest 2 up to the nib of the pen both look like the same size. I just got Bifocal glasses & I tried every way even holding them 2" from my big dam nose still look the same

Chuck B

Eagle,
Ever since you told me to "always put the nib next to the headstock so you always turn the same way"
I do just that[:D] Now it's automatic. I'll check again. Thanks Eagle[:D]

jthompson1995

Try putting them next to one another to see if you can feel which one is smaller. I use this method frequently to figure the sizes of the bushings in relation to one another. There will be a lip between them.

Chuck B

Originally posted by jthompson1995
<br />Try putting them next to one another to see if you can feel which one is smaller. I use this method frequently to figure the sizes of the bushings in relation to one another. There will be a lip between them.

[:I] I feel like such a idiot.[:I]

mick

This is why I always buy the three piece bushing set from Woodcraft...largest single bushing goes on the finial end of the short tube. Largest end of the double bushing goes in the other end of the short tube. Longer tubes goes to the other end of the double bushing and that leaves just one bushing.......I think even I can figure that one out. I gave up on those "premium" bushing over a year ago.

tnilmerl

I would also read the instructions for the new kits. If I recall correctly, the instructions state that after assembly, you no longer pull the barrels apart to change the cartridges. You are supposed to unscrew the top from the lower, leaving the tranny in the upper barrel. Not unusual, but new for this kit.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I usually unscrew the nib to change refills.
There are three ways to take them apart but putting it in through the nib end is the easiest for me.

hilltopper46

I made a number of Cigar pens before I figured out with the calipers which was the nib and which was the cap bushing. Once I learned (from reading this board) that there was a difference, I filed a couple grooves across the end of the bushing that fits inside the tube to identify it (I think I also got this idea from reading this board). I was concerned that as sloppy as I am with sanding sealer and/or CA that marking with a sharpie wouldn't last.

Tony,
I just looked at your site... the modified slimline.. what did you do with that.. interesting design[?]

Also, your first Dymondwood is my favorite colors... dakota. I've sold a lot of the dymondwood... people always ask how I painted the wood like that.[:)]

Draken

If you are still having problems feeling the difference in the sizes, put them on the mandrel. That will hold them both steady and centered, then feel for the lip between the two. Trying to hand hold them and feel for a lip may not be accurate depending on how they are held.

Cheers,
Draken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom