Cigar Bushings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnkepka

I started first Cigar style pen today. Long story short the middle--bottom of upper barrel and top of the lower barrell were out of round. Checked the mandrel etc and all looked ok. However the bushings were a little sloppy on the mandrel. I changed mandrels to get a better fit. I used other bushings on the original mandrel without any problems. So I turned one on the new setup which looked ok. in the mean time i ordered a new mandrel. Now upon thinking about the problem it seems to me that the problem is that the middle bushings are not one piece. If they were one piece i think the whole pen would rotate evenly and would not be misaligned.Anyone else have some problems with these or any ideas. I am not sure that a new mandrel will solve the problems.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mick

I've used both type of Cigar bushings. The ones that have a one piece step bushing for the middle bushing come from Woodcraft by the way. I've never had any problems with either type. The ones I have that use a two piece center bushing came from BB at AS. If they are sloppy on the mandrel; it sounds as if they are drilled wrong , none of my sets have any noticeable play in them.

johnkepka

I think these were from BB about 6 to 8 weeks ago. It so happens that these were wood craft mandrels. There is slop in the bushing fit compared to slim line bushings that i have. I did mic the bushings but they seem to be round.

Ron Mc

Just for the sake of doing so.
Try another cigar only turn one barrel at a time and see what happens.[;)]

Charles

Maybe a already thought of check point, BUT, is the live center putting to much pressure on your mandrel. Also, what about tool pressure?

thewishman

John, I had the same problem with my first cigar. I checked that the bushings matched up correctly with the centerband parts - they did. Good luck. I'll keep checking back here to see if you solved the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom