cigar ashes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dale Allen

Tried something different and am wanting comments on if this ash looks somewhat real or is it too obviously fake? TIA!

Attachments

• portagas.jpg
    portagas.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 335
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
The design and mechanics of the ash are good but the color would look a little more realistic if it were lighter in color. What wood did you use for the ash?
WB

darrin1200

That is a fabulous looking cigar pen. I think the problem with the ash, is that its all the same colour.

Try using a technique called dry brushing. Take three colours dark grey, light grey and white.
Start with the dark grey. Using a small brush dip it in the paint, then dab most of it off. Now flick the tip of the brush across the tops of all the ridges. The harder and more often you do this, the deeper the dark grey will go into the low points. BUT, don't get it all the way down inside. Now let this dry.
Next do the same thing with te light grey. Make sure you do it less than the dark grey.
Finally do it again with the white, but only lightly touch the tops of the ridges with the brush.

What his is doing, is creating depth and shadow with paint. Its a great technique used by miniature modelers. You can easily get carried away with this technique. Using the same steps with red then onrange and finally yellow, can give the illusion of burning embers.

Good luck.

Dale Allen

Bill, I agree that the ash is too dark, and as others have noted as well.
I used a gray section of buckeye burl that is not stabilized. I turned a section to about 3/4" round, mounted it in a collet chuck and sliced thin sections off with a very sharp wood chisel. Then I glued the slices onto the end at random. I tried to use some bleach on the wood but it did nothing to whiten it.
Sadly, it looked much better before I sprayed some clear acrylic on it. The spray always darken the grayed wood. I knew it would but it was way more than I expected.
I like the idea of dry brushing and may try that after I try a different idea.

magpens

I have no suggestion. I do like the overall look of the pen.
I'd like to see the result after you have tried to modify the ash color.
Also, could you post a picture(s) of the pen opened, please.

Top Bottom