Churchill "redesign"??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I have a customer who would like a Churchill design with a rollerball, but a gold (titanium) "tip" (nib holder?)

The threading on the Churchill is, of course, unique to it and the ElGrande (as far as I know). Is there a tigold rollerball "front section" that will just screw into the existing threads?

Thanks for ALL comments --- yes it WILL be a resin pen--Actually casein.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

workinforwood

Why sure, leave the answer to us to figure out! I found a nib section for a churchill, it is plastic with a gold metal nib on the end. I took the skinny tube, flipped the nib section so the nib was inside the tube. I took the small slimline punch, stuck it in the hole and gave it one good tap, the nib popped into the bottom of the tube. It's just a press fit nib. I dug through the part box. Had a great nib, exact same size and even the section was the same length, but threads different. Gent nib..no. Cigar nib..yes! Cigar nib was a tiny bit loose around the hole it presses into but a perfect fit, looks really nifty...oops, but no good, the cap section won't fit over the cigar nib! The cigar nib tapers back down to be the exact diameter of the plastic section that's why it looked good, but it wont work. Then last chance..slim nib! Not actually a slim nib, but a euro nib. The euro nib is the exact same OD as the punched out churchill nib. It will not simply press on to the section though. You will have to grind the tennon off the end of the plastic section. Then drill a 7mm hole, insert a short tube section and then press in the tube. Totally do-able. There's another problem though. The Euro nib looks the same as the churchill nib but it is 3/32 longer. I can't imagine this having any effect on the cap section, but it will effect the pen section. You will have to put a 3/32 spacer into the end of the pen so that the spring isn't too deep to push the refill out the nib. I did not check if the refill will fit through the euro hole, but I can't see why not, and if not, the hole could be easily reamed larger without damaging the plating and without anyone ever knowing. If you wanted to play with this idea..there is one more question..is the euro available in ti-gold?

Oh..wait, this info is going to cost you should you require it's use! Where's my Spongebob photo???:rotfl:

hebertjo

Ed -

Do you mean you want to replace the black part of the Churchill front section, the part that you would hold while writing? The actual tip on the Churchill rollerball is metal and can be had in gold-ti correct?

I was looking at the AZ Silhouette site and see that Bill has a new kit called the Ultra Cambridge which is listed just above the Churchill and it uses the same drill bit sizes. The picture shows a completely metal front section and it comes in gold-ti!

I have never made one but I bet Bill could tell you if it is a fit for the Churchill.

Good luck,

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Why sure, leave the answer to us to figure out! I found a nib section for a churchill, it is plastic with a gold metal nib on the end. I took the skinny tube, flipped the nib section so the nib was inside the tube. I took the small slimline punch, stuck it in the hole and gave it one good tap, the nib popped into the bottom of the tube. It's just a press fit nib. I dug through the part box. Had a great nib, exact same size and even the section was the same length, but threads different. Gent nib..no. Cigar nib..yes! Cigar nib was a tiny bit loose around the hole it presses into but a perfect fit, looks really nifty...oops, but no good, the cap section won't fit over the cigar nib! The cigar nib tapers back down to be the exact diameter of the plastic section that's why it looked good, but it wont work. Then last chance..slim nib! Not actually a slim nib, but a euro nib. The euro nib is the exact same OD as the punched out churchill nib. It will not simply press on to the section though. You will have to grind the tennon off the end of the plastic section. Then drill a 7mm hole, insert a short tube section and then press in the tube. Totally do-able. There's another problem though. The Euro nib looks the same as the churchill nib but it is 3/32 longer. I can't imagine this having any effect on the cap section, but it will effect the pen section. You will have to put a 3/32 spacer into the end of the pen so that the spring isn't too deep to push the refill out the nib. I did not check if the refill will fit through the euro hole, but I can't see why not, and if not, the hole could be easily reamed larger without damaging the plating and without anyone ever knowing. If you wanted to play with this idea..there is one more question..is the euro available in ti-gold?

:rotfl:

Er Jeff, don't forget that it's Ed:biggrin: Do you really think he understood ANY of that??:biggrin::biggrin: ( Sorry Ed )

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Skippy,

You know what you can do with your skew, don't you??

All others:
I'm gonna try the Cambridge solution, will let you know if it works. Far from economical, but a solution, nonetheless.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Ed, I do know what I can do with my skew, but I somehow doubt that it's what you had in mind:eek:
Relax Resonator, I'm just rattling your cage:wink:

workinforwood

I really like how the cigar nib looks over that front section. I'm filing that away for future use! I don't think it's too complicated for Ed to modify the section with a euro nib, but if there is a gold ti front section that already fits, that would be more logical. Being that Ed is a Badger..he wouldn't have to grind off the front of the section, he could just nibble it off.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Sorry, not a badger, a "Warrior" but that was politically incorrect so now they are Baby Eagles or something. (Marquette University)

alphageek

Former Moderator
Sorry, not a badger, a "Warrior" but that was politically incorrect so now they are Baby Eagles or something. (Marquette University)

"They" may be something else there now Ed, but WE (yes, I went to M.U. too for everyone elses benefit) will ALWAYS be Warriors!

Sorry if this is hijacking a bit ;) I went there WHILE they made that _______ change (insert whatever insult you like) and was one of the many that TRIED to fight the change. So we refused to follow the new name.... And still do! :)

Top Bottom