Churchill pen kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gtriever

This question has been asked before, and I've found several differing answers both on the forum and from different vendors. So with that in mind, for you guys and gals that have turned them, what size drill bits are needed for the Churchill pen?

Thanks in advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

eharri446

I used a 31/64 for the lower blank and a 33/64 for the cap.

I started out by drilling a centering hole with a center bit, then I used a 3/8 drill bit for both blanks, then went with the 31/64 for both blanks, then very carefully drilled the cap blank with the 33/64 drill bit.

Since I was doing this for someone else, I had to be careful to ensure that I did not crack the blank. I also used water with a couple of drops of dish soap in it to lubricate and cool the blank as I was drilling. Just to be on the safe side, I draped an old wash cloth that I used to protect by lathe bed when wet sanding while drilling.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The type of material being drilled makes a difference, so be certain your "test run" is very similar to the species you will be using for the "real" pen.

"Oily" wood will contract after drilling, the hole will likely not be the same size as the drill bit. This is why there is no "absolutely correct" answer to your question.

leehljp

Member Liaison
For some people who follow the rules and paths, such as when building/making some things, learning to get "off the road" and make your on path can be confusing and or frightening. Decisions become hard to make.

Wood moves, techniques differ, learning to make the adjustment on the fly is necessary.

Above in the different sections of IAP, in the middle blue row, second from left is the Library. In the Library under "Reference" are different charts that reference, metric, inch and fractions. I have a 6 page chart with fraction, metric and inch references on the wall in my shop near the lathe.

1. Get one of those charts. I Like the MS Word Doc "Drill Bit Conversions".
2. Get a set of HF (Or other store's) 115 piece drill bit set.

The drill bit set is not my main drill bits for pens but I go to them often when I need to increase the size as mentioned by Ed above. I probably use the HF bits about 25% of the time to increase or decrease a hole size by tenths of a mm or 1/100th of an inch. (I prefer mm measurements on pens even though I use fractions and inches in flat work.)

For easy to crack/fragile wood/material, I drill a hole .1 or .2 mm or even .3 mm larger and use rubber epoxy. The larger hole allows for expansion and the rubber epoxy is hard enough yet flexible enough to allow for expansion/contraction that CA and normal epoxy doesn't.

Tenths of an MM larger is not always a problem. By measuring with the calipers the nib, clip end and ring sizes, and the tube sizes, you can easily guess how much "play" room you need or and have.

Last edited:

gtriever

Ed and Hank, thanks for the tips. I already have several fraction/decimal/metric charts, including Starrett's giant wall poster. And I also have a good set of fraction/letter/number drill bits, but they only go up to 1/2 inch. So, I've got to order bits.

Hank, want to recommend a good rubber epoxy? The "normal" is the only type I've used... I think.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Ed and Hank, thanks for the tips. I already have several fraction/decimal/metric charts, including Starrett's giant wall poster. And I also have a good set of fraction/letter/number drill bits, but they only go up to 1/2 inch. So, I've got to order bits.

Hank, want to recommend a good rubber epoxy? The "normal" is the only type I've used... I think.

Here are two from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I1PAI4S?psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/655-8-Pre-Th...rd_wg=vGmu5&psc=1&refRID=5KQ04B4YCR78YK1BV47D

I see that they are called Flex Epoxy now. I used to get rubber epoxy in Japan that came in a reddish tube and a blue tube. I bought 3 sets back with me back in 2010. But shortly after that, I saw the same brand in HD I think and as recent as 3 years ago as well as on Amazon.

Now on Amazon, I couldn't get it to come up but did find the two called Flex Epoxy. They are made for canoes and boats where flex is needed.

Top Bottom