Churchill kits - Like 'em or not? (NO COUPLER RANTS!)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thewishman

Made a Churchill and trying to decide if I like it. It is different from other pens of its size and the business end is nice and light (the cap is a bit heavy though). I like the size and the thinner brass tubes, the threads are very nice - and they don't come undone. The plating choices are good.

Do the threads stay nice with long-term use? Any concerns about scarring the finials?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Buzz

Always was my favourite style of pen, and with the new coupler I'm a lot happier selling them, as I'm confident that I'm not going to get returns for repair to that particular part.

The El Grande, which is on the same tubes, is also a really nice pen. I'm not so sure about the Cambridge which is a little "loud" for my taste. Although I've seen images where the black fill was removed from between the gold and silver and it looked heaps better IMO.

If you have someone that does not like the feel of a metal section, these kits are about your only option among the more "upmarket" pens.

PS. I've had no issues with the threads or finials in the longer term.

Last edited:

chriselle

I like them. I like the centerband..simple and understated. They look nice with one or even two closed ends as well. And BTW...there are too many Chris' in this thread.

Cheers,

Chris

John Eberly

Churchill

I've made one, a fountain pen in sterling silver. I got five of these kits from Anthony at Pen Works.

The pen is very nicely proportioned and looks great with the black and white ebony that I used. I can see where the plastic coupler might be a problem in the long term, and the nib that came with the kit is pretty much junk. It looks like somebody "finished" the back with 36 grit sandpaper before plating it.

I'm waiting on an upgrade nib from Lou. If the new steel nib meets expectations, I'll make the other four pens and price them $$$.

Chasper

My name is not Chris and I like Churchills. I've received a few of them back to replace the part I'm not going to rant about. I robbed parts from the newer kits so I now have 4 kits that are missing the unrantable part. On the well used pens that I got back there were no scars on the finial from posting the cap.

I like the pen a lot and they have sold well, significantly better than El Grandes.

Top Bottom