Churchill assembly issue?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

angboy

I seem to remember reading about some people having some sort of problem assembling the churchill pen, and that the problem resulted in having a part or parts of the kit ruined. Before I assemble my first one, is there anything in particular to look out for?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russb

Just put together my first Churchill. I saw no problems except to keep track of the small accent bands and make sure they get installed. Just followed the instructions provided by AS and had no problems.

leehljp

Member Liaison
If I remember correctly, someone posted that they did something wrong in assembly or too much pressure on the wrong piece and broke it. The way it seemed to me was that it was not specifically a Churchill defect. I could be wrong but that is the vague recollection. Hope this helps.

arioux

Hi,

The problem was that someone pressed the clip assembly with the finial on. The finial get crushed. We tough that it was a solid part, i appear that the cap finial is hollow inside.

Alfred

jeffj13

Alfred is correct. The issue was that a finial collapsed while being pressed onto the pen.

I have assembled many churchills by pressing on the finial, without having a problem. Given that this appears to have been the only incident, I'm tempted to believe that it was a bad finial instead of a design flaw.

jeff

Firefyter-emt

Yes, that was me.. I crushed the final with minor preasure in my pen press. I now have a "press cap". Jeff was nice enough to send me one in the mail that BB later was nice enough to send me a replacement. It may of been a fluke as many others did not have problems doing this, but I don't plan to do that twice!

BTW, this is my favorite kit. So far it has passed my "rough use" without having any issues come up.

jeffj13

Lee,

This is my favorite pen as well. Very attractive, good sized pen. Not as big as a Gentlemens, but big enough to really show off any blank you are using. I also like that that cap friction posts.

jeff

Draken

I was the first person to crush the finial. Normally the finial nut is pressed in first, then the finial threaded on, avoiding the problem. I had an issue where I needed to disassemble the pen, and when I went to reassemble it, I forgot to remove the finial from the nut before pressing it back in. As long as you follow the directions that come with the kit, and remember to remove the finial should you need to disassemble the pen, you won't run into this issue.

Cheers,
Draken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom