Chucks... What kind to buy?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

fireflex8263

I am looking at starting to turn boxes, bowls and goblets in addition to pens. I am curious what kind of chuck would be a good all around chuck to buy on a budget. I have checked out Woodcraft and PSI. The Nova seems the best, but is a little more than I would like to spend. PSI also has a Utility chuck and a mini grip 3 jaw system. What would you do?

Troy

William Young

If you are on a tight budget and the chuck is only for small items on a mini lathe, I would recommend this one. It's a cracker of a little chuck and I wouldnt want to be without it.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?page=49410&category=1,330,49238&abspage=1&ccurrency=2&SID=

However , I would not suggest either one with the morse taper. Get the one that screws onto the shaft. Been there , done that and had to buy twice as well as new lathe bearings..
LV doesn't stock the 1x8 shaft size but it is available elsewhere but it is about double the price and that is what I have now for my Jet mini lathe.
W.Y.

wayneis

I have an Axminster and like it quite a bit. It is a little less than the Nova which I almost bought. I made the mistake of buying the utility chuck from PSI, I hope that you don't do the same. PSI are not really known for their quality. I also have a friend that bought the new 3 jaw, he considers it a mistake also. Stick with a name brand, remember, you will have a nice heavy chunk of lumber hooked up to it and you want it to stay hooked up. Imagine that chunk flying off at about 120 MPH, not pretty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom