Chuck for Grizzly lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

rtparso

I have a Grizzly G8690 VS Wood Lathe with the head stock threaded ¾†X 10 tpi. I would like to get a chuck to attach. I think that a 3 jaw would be best but I cant find one that fits. Any suggestions? I would rather not use an MT chuck,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy

You should look at the G1082 chuck from Grizzly. Just buy the adapter and you have it made. This is a four jaw chuck and I definitely think a four jaw is better that a three jaw. You can also chuck up square stock easier than a three jaw chuck.

Daniel

I would also suggest the four jaw. I own both 3 and 4 jaw chucks. and still say If I only had one I would want it to be the 4 jaw by far.

Brent

You might look at littlemachineshop.com They carry alot of parts for lathes I am not sure how there price compair's on chucks but they do have a large assortment

wayneis

Just keep in mind that this is an area where you do not want to skimp in cost and quality, you get what you pay for. Once you tighten up a piece of wood in that baby its going to be spinning around right in front of your nose and if something lets loose it could take your nose off. Wait until you have the cash to purchase a good chuck like an Axeminster, Oneway, something in this caliber will treat you right for many years to come and you don't have to worry about loosing body parts.

Wayne

Rifleman1776

I have the three jaw and it is a real pain in the bizinkess. It is basically a machine tool chuck, not designed for woodworking. It does not grip precisely on the soft/hard portions of the wood and does not hold true. Four-way does much better.

Originally posted by Randy
<br />You should look at the G1082 chuck from Grizzly. Just buy the adapter and you have it made. This is a four jaw chuck and I definitely think a four jaw is better that a three jaw. You can also chuck up square stock easier than a three jaw chuck.

Fred in NC

Be careful. The Grizzly G1082 is a four jaw INDEPENDENT JAW chuck. It is NOT a scroll chuck. You have to adjust each jaw separately. It does not automatically center the piece. It is a design commonly used for metal work.

3/4" - 10 TPI is not a common spindle thread size. I have a HF lathe with the same spindle thread size. Even HF does not have a scroll chuck in that size.

I had to make a lot of the spindle accessories myself. The 3/4"-10 thread size is the same as the common 3/4" threaded rod, as well as bolts and ROD COUPLERS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom