Chrome Navigator plating is peeling

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jwtrumbo

Hello this is my first time starting a new thread. A month or so ago I went to our local Woodcrafters store to take a class after the class I was offered a discount on any purchase that evening so I took advantage and bought some of my usual kits that I turn; the Wall Street II and the higher end Elegant Wall Street II. But also I went ahead and bought a number of the Navigator kits in Chrome and Black Titanium. This was the first time I bought this kit.
Last weekend I finally got around to turning a couple of the Navigators; one of the Black Titanium and one of the Chrome ones. I was getting ready to sell the Chrome one with wood from a Jack Daniels barrel that I bought from Jim Mahan. (Thanks Jim they turn very easy and finish nicely.) Before I could sell it the top of pen the Chrome started to flake off.
Has anyone had this with woodcraft pens before? I have had no problems with any of the Wall Street II kits. This really has upset me I am glad it happened before I sold it. I take pride in my workmanship and DO NOT like to have something like this tarnish it.
My next question is has anyone had issues with the Gentlemen full size and Jr. with plating? I just made a large purchase of these kits and would not like to have this surprise again.
Thanks for letting me rant and vent.
James
jwtrumbo

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MattDaddy

Yup. I had the exact thing happen on one of my Navigators. It must have been a bad batch. It is the only one I have ever had a problem with, and only in chrome. Also was a little disappointed that they didn't guarantee it. Fortunately, the cap is easy to pop off and replace.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
You may want to take a picture of it and contact the Woodcraft people about that. I have made over 100 of them and never had an issue, but it is something they would want to know about and they should be willing to replace it.
I have always had good luck with the Craft Supply kits. The Jr gent are a well made kit, but it doesn't really matter what kind of kit you buy, there will always be a bad batch somewhere that slips through. Luckily it is rare.

Yep you will soon learn. That 90% of the kits out there are junk. Brass tubes swell up after hardware is pressed in pens fall apart. After a month or so of steady use. Plating peals off.Bic pens make a cheep click pen that works forever. You cant buy a good quality click pen kit anywhere.

pensbymdsmith

I had a detachable lanyard pen with the gold wearing off and the store took it back. I have a Sadona that the plastic treads striped out and I called the 800 number and they sent me a new one. I can't hurt to ask.

DurocShark

Woodcraft and Rockler both have been great about replacing kits that have flaws that show up long after I bought them.

Top Bottom